Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop alarming

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynindesign

Technical User
Sep 19, 2003
US
One of my favorite laptops has started making a dinging noise during the bootup, I shut it off, and repeat until it quits. Prior to this in the past, the desktop looked like mouseovers with a mouse running over it, also if I was in a text software, you would see something like a keyboard runaway, the last character I entered would start going accross the screen---sometimes removing the external keyboard, close the software, or reboot would fix.

Now, I rarely can boot because of the alarm. I have attached the hard drive to another laptop and viewed the contents and scanned it, no errors in the boot sector or other areas. Even tho this one is old, an AMS Tech Rodeo ECX 5000 (1998) it has been a good one. I look forward to hearing any idea, thanks, Cyn

hmmm, because of the eradic behavior, and when I scanned the hard drive initially, it repaired the boot sector, so tonight something made me look up the symptoms of a boot sector virus, and I read that running chkdsk should show 655,360 bytes of memory toward the end, the problem system shows 651,264 bytes, so what is up with that? Virus scan is neg. thanks, Cyn

What is the temp of the CPU? Overheating would cause all your problems, including memory coruption.

This laptop was the 4th one before AMS Tech went down, I always felt the laptop overheated and kept an object underneath to allow air in and heat to escape. It does tend to happen when the units been on for a while, but yesterday it was cold. Hmmm, I hadn't considered taking its temp :O), sorry, it's the nurse in me.

I considered memory and switched with the other laptop, no difference. The laptops keyboard has had too many boo boos, practically the whole upper left quadrant doesn't work-since I've always used an external keyboard, it hadn't been a problem. It alarmed this morning w/o the keyboard - I then connected it direct into the usb instead of using an external hub with 4 sites. It hasn't alarmed yet.

What about the chkdsk memory not showing the standardd 655,+ bytes but 61,+bytes, I did a thourough scan overnight, no virus---so would that indicate something with the motherboard?

Thank you so much for replying, I appreciate your ideas, Cyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back