Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobStardust

Programmer
Aug 1, 2002
GB
PCs on network all use Win2K - clients are no longer able to access folders on server, error "Folder not found". What could cause this?

lol, what couldn't?

- make sure the folder exists on the server
- make sure the clients have permission to access the server (can they access any other folders?)
- make sure the permissions for the folder are specified correctly.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Folder set up correctly with permissions etc. The Server and Clients are all running Win2K Pro and have IP addresses set up manually.

Is this true for all folders, or just a particular folder?

If the latter, make sure its name does not end in a $ sign.

Check the security log on the system where the folder physically resides to see if there might be any clues there. Also check the error log on the system(s) trying to access the folder giving trouble. Logs are at programs --> Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer.

How are they attempting to access the folders, over the network through the GUI or via UNC?

Patty [ponytails2]

The 'Map Network Drive' utility is used to setup the folder on the Clients and that's when the error message 'Network folder not found' appears

Try it from a command or CMD session using NET USE instead. It may be a password issue. For example, if the client is using cached credentials and the password has changed or been added they will get this error.

Hi

Ensure that your DNS settings correct.

Installing DNS/WINS on your network will solve the problem.

WIN2K relies more on DNS than Master Browser to resolve host names.

Hope this Helps

Maruis
&quot;I sleep at home not on my Job!&quot;

Hi

Your workstations/servers should point to a valid DNS server and be able to reach it.
I would advise to install a DNS server on your LAN, the load of the DNS service is not that big so you can bundle it with a current server.

Remember DNS in 2000 is dynamic so you dont have to manage it like NT4.

If you decide to install WINS as well it could not hurt either. It will make your life easier.

Hope this Helps

Maruis

That's a bit over my head now - what do I need to do to install a DNS server and to install WINS?

Cob, how many PCs are we talking about here? You don't need a DNS or WINS server if it's 10 or so -- that's just silly. And at that number you'd hit the limit for peer-to-peer and be looking at 2K server anyhow.

You also said it used to work, and now it doesn't. Did you add new machines to the LAN or anything like that?

4 clients, 1 server all running Win2k Pro. It was installed by another person and was working for a while. The network had some problems and he changed the IP addresses from automatic to static.
I was aked to come in and try and sort it out but I've tried everything I can think of.

I would have made a nasty comment but decided against it.

Networks are silly things somtimes one needs to do some silly things to fix it.

But Hey I am a rookie here so lets leave it at that.

Have fun trying to fix the problem.

PS
Already run into a problem like this one at another site.....

Hope this Helps

Maruis

It does not sound like a DNS issue. Nor does it sound like a permissions isssue necessarily.

The only satisfaction you are going to get is by looking at the Event logs on both server and workstation.

Windows deliberately, or as they say 'by design', does not provide much helpful information through the GUI as to the cause of failures such as this. Why? It is a security breach to keep giving someone clues.

But the clues are in the logs of both the server and the workstation.

Look again at manarth's original response above. You talk about the folders being normal on the server but have never talked about the shares. Are they active? What permissions are set? Are they password protected? Do the sharenames conform to standard or are they administratively named?

This on its face is not a connectivity issue.

Maruis, I wasn't trying to be nasty, but based on Cob's description, it sounds like setting up 2K server is going to be (a) too complicated, and (b) not likely to solve the problem at all. In a larger environment I'd 100% agree with you -- as I pointed out the peer-to-peer limitations of 2K Pro make this a given.

Cob,

You said your consultant came in and alterred the network. Have you verified that the ip of the server has not been alterred. If you do not have DNS or WINS set-up the network shares would have been set-up utilizing the servers IP Address and if that has changed, you are not going to be able to map those drives.

1st ping the server from one of the clients. If you have connectivity; delete mapped drives and try to re-create them using the IP Address.

HI
What I was trying to point out was the fact that Win2K make use of Dynamic DNS, I have ran into a similar problem and what resolved it was to point the work stations to a valid DNS server.
It sounds as if the name of the server he is trying to map to can not be resolved or is struggeling to resolve the name. Provided that the IP addressing is correctly done to start off with.

Reason being:
Windows is a heavy user of the masterbrowser setup..... all machines always try to be the masterbrower. We all have seen that sooo many times. With dynamic DNS this resolves the problem a weee bit.

JPM no offence taken,,,,,and none meant.

Hope this Helps

Maruis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back