Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L337 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staafke

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2006
BE
$|-|0\/\/ 7|-|3 \/\/0RLD |-|0\/\/ L337 '/0U 4R3!

It's almost like reading wind dings to me. Reading a foreign language is easier than that!!! LOL

And he's a low level too... no ASCII. ;p

Have a problem with my spelling or grammar? Please refer all complaints to my English teacher:
Ralphy "Me fail English? That's unpossible." Wiggum

LadySlinger:
I don't know where you're located, but in the U.S. there is a children's T.V. show called "Zoom", produced by some Public Broadcasting System station in Massachusetts and syndicated nationally. I remember from watching the show as a kid they described a Pig Latin-like "language" called "Ubby Dubby" or something like that, which involved speaking English, but inserting the syllables "ubby" or "dubby" as appropriate in words.

"Leet speek" reminds me a great deal of "Ubby Dubby".

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

slepnir214
I 'learnt' ago-pago which is the sagame thaging. It was very common amoungst school children in the UK fourty years ago. I believe my mother, and her mother, both learnt it so it must go back to the start of the 20th century.

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

columb:

OMG! I thought that "ag" language was just a Baughman family thing....

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

I thought it was eg, or were we upmarket even in Glasgow.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Whe learned the p-language wheperepe youpou doupoublepe epeverypy vopowepel soupound apand puput apa "P" ipin bepetweepeen.

Apa lopot hapardeper topo wripitepe apand reapead thapan topo speapeak...

p5

Woow? The P-language exists in english too?? I thought it was only a dutch fenomena. My father used to speak it with his brothers and many times they made my grandmother go berserk! She would then like throw her shoe at them :D She's right because it sound soooo irritating ;)

sleipnir214 said:
Good Lord, how can so many people think something so asinine is so cute?

Totally agree my friend! Not even going to dignify this post with a response.

D'OH! [blush]

Chris

When his pin is pulled, Mr Grenade is not our friend - USMC Infantry Manual

I'm not sure if Staafke was being ironic, but in a forum called 'Making an Impression', l33t sp33k certainly makes an impression - a bad one! It is the very antithesis of what we stand for, the clear exposition of ideas in a comprehensible manner.

On the other hand it sparked a conversation on the distribution of ago-pago language and its variants which I found interesting so some good came out of it.

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

slepnir:

I'll definitely see if Zoom is showing on our PBS. I'm curious to see it now!

Good God, columb, of course I was being ironic. It just makes me laugh every time when someone uses 7331 language. Because it's actually totally not 'elite' to do :) As a matter of fact, thinking you're elite is just pathetic.

But I guess I'm being misinterpreted, but then again, I'm from Belgium. *wink

I haven't seen Zoom since I was a kid.... that gives you an idea of how old it is.

I think it was about the same time as "The Great Space Coaster"

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

p5wizard[/quote said:
Apa lopot hapardeper topo wripitepe apand reapead thapan topo speapeak...

Funny you should say write that, because I had no problem at all reading it. And as I was reading it I was trying (and failing) to pronounce it.

Writing it, on the other hand, now that does seem like a pain in the buputt.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

I really haven't seen anywhere that uses that level of leet speak unless they're mocking it. Most of it arises from typos ("pwn" for "own"), has roots in the warez BBS days, or is "chat lingo" shorthand. Yeah, you're always going to get the leet speaker who writes jibberish to feel superior. But, it's unlikely anything he/she writes is worth reading anyways.

As for the article, it's not surprising. When you type in shorthand ("chat lingo") most of the time, it'd probably be difficult to break the habbit for essays and reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back