Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kinetic Military Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
I'm going to assume that we're all aware that kinetic is a term that is related to motion. For many of us, it have been in science class when we learned about kinetic energy and potential energy.

In any event, the USA White House has announced that the current activity in Lybia is "Kinetic Military Action". Since this is a forum about language, and how language evolves through usage, what are your thoughts about using the term 'kinetic' in this manner? Is it easy to understand the difference between kinetic and non-kinetic military action? Do you think it may become common usage? Is this a good thing?

Please, let's stay focused on the language. There are places more suited for the other obvious aspects of current events in Lybia.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Dictionary.com said:
ki·net·ic
–adjective
1. pertaining to motion.
2. caused by motion.
3. characterized by movement: Running and dancing are kinetic activities.

Sounds like an appropriate use of #3 to me.

I think it's just "political speak". I guess someone in the White House was helping their high school child with their science and came across the terms of kinetic and potential energy. I suspect that that person thought, "If potential military action means that we have the ability to take action, then when we take action it must be 'kinetic military action.'" [flush]

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

My opinion for what it is worth.

Kinetic does not add any meaning to the sentence and in this usage seems redundant with action.

It confuses me as I have no idea what the difference might be between a Military Action and whatever they mean by Kinetic Military Action.

It should die quick and easy.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

From what I understand, "non-kinetic military action" is deemed to be activities such as cyber-warfare, psy-ops, and the like, i.e. where movement of people and machines is not a factor. There is a part of me that can accept that.

However, that leads to ambiguity on the other hand. What's the difference between kinetic military action as a training exercise and kinetic military action as live combat? Both exercise and combat require the movement of troops, weapons, and in some exercises, live ammo. I have a problem with trying to use kinetic to apparently differentiate between exercise and real combat. I tend to agree with 2ffat, it's political speak to avoid the backlash of using more accurate terms.

I also hope it dies quickly.
--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

It's basically someone showing up their lack of understanding of the term, and trying to use it to impress isn't it?

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

CC said:
What's the difference between kinetic military action as a training exercise and kinetic military action as live combat?
Probably the same difference that exists between Lybia and Libya. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Thanks, Dvea. [blush]

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

I tend to agree with 2ffat, it's political speak to avoid the backlash of using more accurate terms.

Yep I agree.

Just for fun an anagram for Kinetic Energy is:

Inner City Geek

Sam

Kinetic" sounds real scientifical and smart and all. Besides, we wouldn't want to take part in ordinary military action! I file this one under people who want to sound smart but don't really think about (or understand) what they are saying. Another example the other night on Celebrity Apprentice - L'il John told Trump that the project was "literally a train wreck". I watched that entire show and never saw a train, much less a train wreck!

Didn't we have another thread about redundant language? "Kinetic action" would seem to qualify.

I don't think it's anyone trying to sound smart so much as it's yet another military euphemism that's meant to avoid upsetting the populace.

Instead of killing one of our own soldiers, we have "friendly fire incidents".

Instead of slaughtering innocent civilians including women and children, we have "collateral damage".

Even referring to soldiers as "troops" seems like a way to make it feel less like we're putting humans in danger.

Now, instead of bombing the living $*/^ out of the place, we have "Kinetic Military Action".

But, to be fair, I haven't seen it used in context. The explanation CC gave earlier does kind of make sense. Except for his very good question about differentiating between combat and training exercises.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Apparently "it" has already been rebranded:

time-limited, scope-limited military action
Here

p5

That must be an example of kinetic labeling.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

The only other military term that I've come across that uses Kinetic would be Kinetic Missile and only then in SF books.

So assuming that the intended meaning is as CC States:
From what I understand, "non-kinetic military action" is deemed to be activities such as cyber-warfare, psy-ops, and the like, i.e. where movement of people and machines is not a factor.

How would the MAI community have stated it? Is there a better word that is sufficiently euphemistic to appease the warlords while still conveying the intended meaning.

Challenge...

it's yet another military euphemism that's meant to avoid upsetting the populace.
I think the source given was the White House. This does not sound like it came from the military. The military would just call it a &quot;military action&quot; (OK, possibly &quot;surgical&quot; or &quot;humanitarian&quot; - how's that for ironic?). Likewise &quot;troops&quot; is not necessarily meant to make anybody think they are not people. In most military actions (kinetic and otherwise), there are liable to be soldiers, marines, airmen, and or sailors. They are all troops (and I think everybody is aware that they are people).

Personally, I think this one was spawned from the brow of a civilian (probably trying to think of a good euphemism for &quot;ill-advised&quot;, &quot;foolish&quot;, or &quot;pointless&quot;).

AnotherHiggins -

You are correct - we could use some context. National Security Advisor Rhodes used the term while addressing Congress:
“I think what we are doing is enforcing a resolution that has a very clear set of goals, which is protecting the Libyan people, averting a humanitarian crisis, and setting up a no-fly zone,” Rhodes said. “Obviously that involves kinetic military action, particularly on the front end. But again, the nature of our commitment is that we are not getting into an open-ended war, a land invasion in Libya.”
"Kinetic" is at best a needless adjective. Much like the military action to which it refers.

==&gt; Is there a better word that is sufficiently euphemistic to appease the warlords while still conveying the intended meaning.
Why not stand up and call it what it is?

My feeling is that if you have to invent a euphemism to describe some action because you're concerned about a backlash, then you probably shouln't be doing that action. Language should not be abused to obfuscate the truth.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

It's interesting that you used the word obfuscate. I can't tell you how many times I thought to do so. That being said, my challenge was sincere. While I wholeheartedly agree that kinetic is misused in this case, I am wondering if there might be some word that might better convey the intended meaning. I am not overly skilled at normal communications so Military Speak is way beyond me. I am wondering what other word might have sufficed to differentiate the types of military action previously described.

==&gt; I am wondering if there might be some word that might better convey the intended meaning
I think the intent is to not say what we doing. It's an attempt to acknowledge what we're doing without actually admitting that we're doing it. If it were up to me, I'd use the term combat operations, but that wouldn't go over very well. People might get the idea that we're involved in a war if you said that.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

Maybe all of the good euphemisms were already taken.

"Limited, tightly-circumscribed military actions" might support the story being pushed. But just as the Secretary of Defense Rumsfield asserted that the situations in Afghanistan and and Iraq are not "guerilla wars" (even though they are), none of these are really wars (even though they're bankrupting the country like wars, involve explosive devices on a routine basis like wars, and kill people like wars. Just because it walks, sounds, and looks like a duck doesn't make it a duck!). Besides, wars generally require objectives and strategies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back