Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stephen Fry Kinetic Typography

Status
Not open for further replies.
KWB 6 Nov 10 14:21 said:
And no, I do not believe all forms of originality, delight and verbal freshness will elate. Much to the contrary in fact. I agree with his premise that people are "More Likely" to dislike. The reason is that they have to work harder.

To also repeat my analysis of 29 Oct 10 16:04 but with more clarity. There are 3 possible outcomes.

Some people will just perceive the originality, delight, and verbal freshness as just clutter that gets in the way of the message. This tends towards dislike.

Some people will remain unaffected by the originalty, delight and verbal freshness. This is neutral

Some people will enjoy the originality, delight, and verbal freshness for its own sake. This tends towards likability.

It is my opinion based on personal experience that those that are adept at presenting things that would be described as "originality, delight, and verbal freshness" are far out numbered by those that attempt and fail. Thus making it more likely for one to mock, dislike or distrust the message beased solely on the form of presentation rather than the content.

When one does not like the form of presentation, they have to work harder to look past that dislike to focus on what is being said. It is human nature for the dislike of the presentation to color the opinion of the content.

All these things combine to make someone more likely to dislike, mock, and distrust.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

kwbMitel said:
It is my opinion based on personal experience that those that are adept at presenting things that would be described as "originality, delight, and verbal freshness" are far out numbered by those that attempt and fail. Thus making it more likely for one to mock, dislike or distrust the message beased solely on the form of presentation rather than the content.
(emphasis mine)
"By those that attempt and fail"
As far as I can tell, Mr. Fry says nothing about attempting and failing.

It sounds like your claim is that those who attempt and fail are more likely to be disliked and distrusted. It must be then, that it is the attempting and failing that leads to dislike and distrust, because since they failed, they could not have been original, delightful, nor fresh. That means Mr. Fry's claim does not apply to them. Mr. Fry's claim is that those who ARE original, delightful, and fresh (i.e they did NOT fail) are more likely to be disliked or distrusted.
You're saying that those who attempt and fail at being original, delightful, and fresh (i.e they DID fail) are more likely to be disliked or distrusted.
That's two entirely different things.

The ironic thing is while I disagree with Mr. Fry's position, I actually agree with yours. Being original (Mr. Fry's position) does not raise red flags; trying to be original and failing (kwbMitel's position) does. In any event your position is not at all the same as Mr. Fry's, and it seems to me that using your position as supporting evidence of Mr. Fry's position is a non-sequitur.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Sha said:
something we should all do more of.
Surely you mean "something of which we should all do more." ;-)

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

Isn't avoiding dangling prepositions one of those throwbacks to Latin that's generally not seen as an issue now? Put it this way; it's a change I'm happy to adopt. :)

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

I totally agree with you and will now remove my tongue from my cheek.

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

CajunCenturion - I'm sure even you would agree that not everyone judges things the same way. You appear to be making a blanket statement that something presented with "originality, delight, and verbal freshness" will be received as such by all. I disagree wholeheartedly. In fact, as I have stated numerous times, some will enjoy, some will not and some won't care either way. I believe, as Stephen Fry appears to, that people are more likely to judge the whole disfavourably if they don't like the presentation method.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

strongm said:
Surely a neutral message delivered with originality, delight and verbal freshness is likely to elate - thus the message is no longer neutral. Which is the point that I think fumei may have been making.
Indeed. Precisely.

kwbMitel said:
Fumei - Do you even try to understand what people say? My guess is that you purposely look for ways to misunderstand and go there to make some point that entertains only you.
I would suggest you look at a mirror, however, I am coming to the conclusion that this is not seriously possible for you.

Did YOU try to understand what I was saying?

Clearly not. strongm got it. If something is delivered with "originality, delight and verbal freshness", can it remain neutral.

Besides, if YOU actually read things (doubtful) you would have seen this things called a question mark at the end of the sentence.

Is that even possible? Could you give an example?

It is called asking a question. I made no personal comment whatsoever, yet you resond as if I did, which is clearly your method of reading.

I asked if this was possible, and if the answer is yes, could you give an example.

Aside: BTW, you did not give an example.

So, I repeat (ignoring your blind rudeness). Is it possible to remain neutral if your opinion of something is that it was delivered with "originality, delight and verbal freshness"?

Question. Just a question.

You are so blind you do not even know if I would agree that it is possible or not!.

unknown

Excellent find Corrigan [smarty]

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back