Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kimber's Rant!! 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2001
CA
Ok, as you can tell I have been having a rough August. This is my third thread.

Question??

WHY do technicians insist on telling clients what a rotten job someone else did, or outline every detail of what doesn't work and why it is someone elses fault?
Some of these people outright LIE and state that, when you inherit a repair, it must somehow be YOUR fault when something doesn't work or crashes after you try to fix the mess they made.

I have a personal policy that, if I disagree with a setup, that "I would have done that differently" and then I outline the benefits of my opinion in context.

NEWSFLASH for end users.

1. Computers work by electricity.
They are unreliable when they are not working properly, infected with a virus, or sabatoged by people getting into settings and changing things they do not understand.

2.All computer hardware does not work together- and I don't give a rat's behind what the guy at Radio Shack told you.
Maybe you didn't tell him something relevant about your setup.

3. If the "guy down the road" will do the repair for $40 less and can come right now, why are you on the phone with me wondering anything at all? Call him!
If he gets stuck, he will be calling me anyways and will bill you the difference, or you will be, and I may have to charge you more than the original quote if he messed things up worse. (Just because you are good at using a computer does not make you a repair tech!)

4. It is impossible to know everything about everything. If we have to look something up, expect that you will be getting the most up to date information available and thank them for the effort.

5. Just because I am female, do not call me DEAR, and do not offer to have the IS people assist me in the repair. They couldn't fix it, that is why you called me...remember?

These backyard mechanics give me a headache, and the so called professionals out there that slam others to make themselves look good make the whole industry look terrible.

I am SO HAPPY I found TekTips.
The people that frequent these forums are PROFESSIONAL and decent, and I am honoured to be among you.
I have found that I am not alone in this after all.

Thanks for the support! The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!
Kimber

Hello there!
Nice to see another female in this industry!

1. Computers work by electricity.

It also helps to see the system when the monitor is turned on...I've gotten this one about 10 times. Ah, HELLO people!

2.All computer hardware does not work together.

Especially when a 3.5 floppy is jammed into the drive upside down...this happened last week.

3. If the "guy down the road" will do the repair for $40 less...

And it's always someone's family member. "My newphew just graduated high school and he's a computer genius. I asked him to take a look at the configuration last night."

4. It is impossible to know everything about everything.

Thanky for the internet...

"5. Just because I am female"

I find it really interesting that many end users think that because we are female we know nothing and that we are just helpless, little femme things... Heck, my 100 pound frame can lift that server into the rack with the best of 'em!

Getting off the main topic regarding hardware I wanted to add this one cause I was reminded of it from another forum

a while ago I had a client call rather upset about the fact their newly created web site would not function correctly. I went back and forth trying to figure out why this guys site that I made for him (which was the cheapest, most simple site I've ever done) would not work for him. The guy actually sounded like he new what he was talking about so I excluded the stupid questions. for a while

turns out a half hour or so into this phone call I asked him kind of with a hidden objective to hit Ctrl+F and tell me if there were any check marks in the menu. Anyone get it yet?
The idiot was working offline[hammer]

He to this day has not called again. I hope this hasn't ruined any future business with him because he's too embarrassed to call though.
Sometimes starting over can fix a problem at the end

admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

You're not kidding. I showed up at a site recently to find that somebody's kid had 'just happened to show up' - I politely asked him to let me at the problem server and he declared "I've been hacking for almost two years, I can fix this." After he got dragged away, half my visit was spent fixing the actual dispatched problem, and half was untangling TCP/IP settings that the fellow had whacked. Note to business folks: Script kiddies make poor network administrators.
-Steve

>3. If the "guy down the road" will do the repair for $40 >less...

>And it's always someone's family member. "My newphew just >graduated high school and he's a computer genius. I asked >him to take a look at the configuration last night."

ohh Alt+F I get it now.

A note about point #3 MISCHICK1
That guy down the road often doesn't want to do these repairs. At least I feel that way. When I go home to visit my parents my relatives have lists of people lined up for me to fix their computers. It gets very aggravating. That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

Ditto here, Zarcom. I've taught the proper lessons to almost everyone by sticking to a fairly small list of friends/family that get my help for free, and "oh my friend has so-and-so problem" gets the answer of "I recommend contacting tech support, or you can call my office at xxx-xxxx during business hours, our paid support is well regarded."
-Steve

For sure as I am a Programmer it really isn't even my field though I can do it. Usually I recommend a friend or associate that is in the repair business. That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

BRAVO!!!

As for the CHICK thing.....I eavestrough with my husband in my "spare time"...
Most lads wont do THAT...

I just want to be regarded as a person...and when they pat my hand and tell me that it's going to get rather complicated and I better go get a tech so they can explain what they need...I want to just ...well....onpnt has a great graphic...lol

I get the same...just fix this while you are here...from friends and it is the last thing I feel like doing when I am away ..I am sure we all get that.
What bugs me is that we are expected to do it all for nothing.
If I wanted to work I would have stayed at work....but they don't get it.

Thanks again for all your input....I am hoping this thread doesnt die too soon....my month has ended well but I may need you all next month...

CHEERS!
Kimber

The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!

for MISCHICK1:

[bugeyed]1. Computers work by electricity.

Well, I once saw an article in the "rotor gazette international" where somebody 'scientifically' proved that electrical devices run on smoke.

And, off course, it is logical. Once the smoke comes out, the device stops working. So, it will only run if the smoke stays in. Therefore, the device runs on smoke.
This also explains why heavier machines require thicker cables: they just need more smoke to run on...

Best regards

And with today's economy, I am sure most of your IT budgets have been cut, and mirrors have been removed, so you are left to run your department on nothing by smoke. :)

Tom Backus
Network Administrator
Hitchcock Industries
Bloomington, Minnesota.
backust@hitchcockusa.com

If someone asks me to fix whatever problem they are having, I'll walk out to my car, pull out my toolkit, then pull out my standard contract... (hourly rate is in bold letters near the top), if they don't want to pay me, they'll usually say never mind before I finish opening a timesheet...Tech support is only free if I live in the house that the computer belongs in, which limits it to my own systems and my mothers computer.

Computers work by electricity.
no really? I have actually gone on calls to find the reason the computer isn't starting is that the power cable is unplugged...

Another good one, the other day I was asked why all the files had changed around on a drive. Turned out the person was working on their f drive, which was a network share instead of their d drive the second partition. I get them back to the d drive, find their files and then they say they want to back up their work in the "other place" I tell them to change back to the other drive, so they pull out the floppy they want to back the files up on...

Kimber I got a question for you. I don't quite know what you mean when you said
"I eavestrough with my husband in my "spare time"..."

Please pardon the ignorance. That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

Timebomb, I am fully in agreement with you on that one. And it's only getting worse...

And when asked by friends and relatives to fix computers or whatnot, if I have the time and energy to look at them, I will without too much fuss. But since I am a programmer/hack, most of their hardware problems are beyond my ken if they start getting too complicated. Heck, most of their software problems are too, but that's another story... LOL

But their wish to get me to look at it is understandable. My little sister is a doctor and when people find out, they are always asking for a diagnosis on the spot of "some pain they've been having recently". I have to admit, I have to sometimes work hard not to do the same to her. :) Everyone wants something for free (or at least cheap), it's up to the individual as to how much you're going to give. If you give it to them once for free, they'll always want it that way - same if you charge them, then they'll know to pay you.

And my final two cents, it's far easier to criticise than to say that someone has done something that was ok. I try never to criticise (loudly) as I figure I should do unto others as I should hope they would do unto me. But I am right there with you, Kimber. Just keep the faith... Insanity is merely a state of mind while crazy people have a mind of their own.

Kimber

Would you like to start a new thread called "I'm likely to have a slightly better September"?
We could keep this going forever. It's a good read. Peter Meachem
peter @ accuflight.com

Peter yes I think this thread could go on forever and I am not encouraging it to stop....it sure is a pick me up after user burnout for we tekkies.

Mark, I believe in the US they call eavestrough GUTTER....like on a house, building etc.
We install it, and before you get a picture in your head that I am some amazon or something, I am 5'2'' and definitely feminine....although not a weakling by any stretch.

We go up (up to 40 ft) ladders and hang up the stuff after we make it.

I am not a butch or whatever, I have just never limited myself to GIRL stuff. I like nailpolish just fine, but I don't cry when I break a nail....lol

I guess it all boils down to a desire to be accepted without any preconceived notions, which is not unlike anyone else really.
I LIKE doing this stuff.....I am never more content than after I have fixed something that others couldn't figure out.

Another story that I am reminded of, is a BIG municipal office that was having problems on one system printing to the network.
It was reported as "mouse disappears" but actually the mouse cursor and the whole thing froze up, no printout.
MIS TEAM worked on this for a LONG time...and they were no dummies.
I went for a meeting with our head sales person....and I was asked about it. I went to look at the system and she recreated the problem immediately...

I turned off her animated cursors etc in display properties and POOF....all better. TOTAL time for the fix was less than what it took them for the support form....lol

I think the one guy summed it up the best......
he said loudly enough for everyone to hear...

DUH!!!

Have a great day....come on September...!! Kimber

HAHAHA
thats a great storey.

As for the evestrough thing, I do and did know what they were just the way you said it I thought it was some sport or something.

Didn't realize you meant puttin em up.
*umm let me see yes yes it's appropriate

DOH! That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what "eave strough" was. I thought maybe it was an "evening stroll", now I see it is "eaves trough"---that makes sense, now that I know this is a GUTTER! I'm always learnig something new from the British. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Quite right too. Have you tried cricket? In England we call gutters gutters. I'd never heard of eavestrough, but I think I'll start using it from now on.

I think Kimber is Canadian? Is that right? Peter Meachem
peter @ accuflight.com

Well, I'm always learning from our Canadian neighbors, also.
I guess I assumed she was British, my fault. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I am Canadian and we call em gutters or evestroughs depending on who you talk to.

Crickets the game with the big paddle bats right??

Lol one of my British friends absolutely hates it when we call him a piker - off the movie Snatch- lol That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

Yes...Kimber is Canadian....however I grew up in England on the south coast...so I can "translate" whatever you like...lol

My parents are still in Britain near Portsmouth, but I am in Ontario...

BTW....cricket is awesome...

Kimber

Status
Not open for further replies.