Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kimber's Rant!! 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2001
CA
Ok, as you can tell I have been having a rough August. This is my third thread.

Question??

WHY do technicians insist on telling clients what a rotten job someone else did, or outline every detail of what doesn't work and why it is someone elses fault?
Some of these people outright LIE and state that, when you inherit a repair, it must somehow be YOUR fault when something doesn't work or crashes after you try to fix the mess they made.

I have a personal policy that, if I disagree with a setup, that "I would have done that differently" and then I outline the benefits of my opinion in context.

NEWSFLASH for end users.

1. Computers work by electricity.
They are unreliable when they are not working properly, infected with a virus, or sabatoged by people getting into settings and changing things they do not understand.

2.All computer hardware does not work together- and I don't give a rat's behind what the guy at Radio Shack told you.
Maybe you didn't tell him something relevant about your setup.

3. If the "guy down the road" will do the repair for $40 less and can come right now, why are you on the phone with me wondering anything at all? Call him!
If he gets stuck, he will be calling me anyways and will bill you the difference, or you will be, and I may have to charge you more than the original quote if he messed things up worse. (Just because you are good at using a computer does not make you a repair tech!)

4. It is impossible to know everything about everything. If we have to look something up, expect that you will be getting the most up to date information available and thank them for the effort.

5. Just because I am female, do not call me DEAR, and do not offer to have the IS people assist me in the repair. They couldn't fix it, that is why you called me...remember?

These backyard mechanics give me a headache, and the so called professionals out there that slam others to make themselves look good make the whole industry look terrible.

I am SO HAPPY I found TekTips.
The people that frequent these forums are PROFESSIONAL and decent, and I am honoured to be among you.
I have found that I am not alone in this after all.

Thanks for the support! The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!
Kimber

I live near Chichester, about 20 minutes from Portsmouth.

Cricket is a good game, but you need to put some effort into understanding it so that you can get the best out of it. Television helps a lot. Fast bowlers deliver the ball at 90mph +, so it is very difficult to see what is going on. Slow motion replays and lots of cameras help a graet deal. They are using some pretty advanced software now too. They have something called Hawkeye which shows you in 3d the track of the ball from when it leaves the bowlers hand. It doesn't travel in a straight line you see. It curves through the air and spins off the pitch. Very clever stuff. Peter Meachem
peter @ accuflight.com

Cool Peter.....sounds like baseball to me...lol

My parents are in Gosport...just a short bit away from you.
So tell me.....how is the IT situation there...my parents are desperate for me to move.....

Kimber

The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!

Pretty well ok I think. Don't take my word as gospel mind. As far as I can see, business decline seems much more pronounced in the US (don't know about Canada) than in Europe. Gosport is really well placed. A friend of mine lives and works in Gosport. He seems to be very busy. There are an awful lot of people living round here, which means an awful lot of computers to fix. My mate does a lot of work for the Navy and for IBM who are just up the road. And Rolls-Royce are moving production to Goodwood, just a mile or so away from me.
There has been a big drop on the stock market, but that seems to be affecting London more than anything. The rest of the economy seems ok really.

Should you come over here, do call and you can pop in for a cup of tea. I could do with someone to take a look at my eavestroughs too. Peter Meachem
peter @ accuflight.com

Thank you for the info....and when I come over next whether it be to visit or to stay I will be sure to look you up.
One thing I miss about England is that unbeatable cup of tea....not the same here ..not sure why.

I think if I were considering moving based on my experience with users and companies here, I would be moving to more of the same. I don't think that varies much from continent to continent!

I am hoping to find, one day, a place in life where idiots and know it alls are few and far between..
Not holding my breath though, for I don't think it exists yet, particularly after reading some of the posts in this thread!

I think my rant started a good thing.... Kimber

The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!

I am hoping to find, one day, a place in life where idiots and know it alls are few and far between..

Maybe Monaco? The smaller the country, the less people, the less difference...

I remember a 'village' of an artist in Germany, called KugelMugel. It had one inhabitant: himself.

I do not know what it takes to start a new nation... ;-)

Oh, by the way, I nearly lost a friendship once, because I like my tea the british way. Life is hard.

Best regards
[pacman]

Status
Not open for further replies.