Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Killing an Old Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterPhil

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2004
GB
I have two old domains on my Windows 2000/2003 network that are no longer used.

Looking at the notes from Microsoft it tells me that the only way to remove the domains from the network is to run dcpromo on the FSMO (domain controller) running Active Directory.

Now before I build a test server to check this all out, I have only ever used dcpromo to promote/demote a domain controller/member server.

Have I read Microsoft correctly or should I be doing this another way.

Phil

Removing the last domain controller from a domain kills teh domain. You are correct. You will be given the option "This is the last domain controller in the domain" which you should select on the last DC when you run DCPROMO

Robert Bentley

SynergyworksHosting.co.uk
"reliable services at realistic prices

Thanks for the help Robert. I now have to bring 4 servers back online which have been switched off for months.

My worry is that as their switch off predates my arrival at the company somehow it wouldn't surprise me if they are NT4. Does dcpromo still work on an NT4 box?

I'm sorry but ive not had experiance with NT4 so I cant say for sure. I've only ever managed Windows 2000/2003 domains.

Robert Bentley

See if they're Windows NT, you may be lucky!!

Robert Bentley

LOL, I just have and I'm not that lucky, they are NT4 sadly.

Thanks very much for your help, mate. Guess I am going to have to have a play with an NT4 box and see what happens.

I'd guess the concept is the same, as you remove them from the domain, the last one kills the domain. Without any domain controller's there isn't a domain? Seems a logical theory.

Robert Bentley

Well I guess we are going to get to find out if this works shortly. My worry is that we are down a server. The BDC died and was built rebuilt as something else without being demoted. I will let you know what happens when a PDC is demoted and its BDC no longer exists to take over the role and what AD thinks of all this.

Anyone need a new Intrastructure Support Manager if this all goes pear shaped!

There is no way on Windows NT 4 to demote a PDC or BDC back to a memeber server, you will have to rebuild these boxes to get them to participate in a new domain structure.

Then I have a BIG problem as I do not want them or the doamin name that they have to be part of the domain structure. My original problem is that I have two old domain names that I no longer want to be part of my network. Microsoft say that dcpromo is the only way to kil a domain name. Help?

If this set of servers are all for a domain you don't want? Whats the problem with just rebuilding them, thus removing the domain. Without any servers, a domain won't exist anyway.

Robert Bentley

You want to get rid of two old domains that are running on NT servers? Just shut them off, format them, throw them away, whatever. There is no dcpromo for NT, so if you want to get rid of an NT domain, you just turn it off.

You may also need to delete any trust relationships between the old domain and any other domains.

Well said mlichstein,
If there isnt any servers, you've no domain!

Robert Bentley

This is the problem, when you go into active directory there is no mention of the doamins in active directory. However, when you go to certain pc's the old domain name still pop's up, so something somewhere still thinks the old domain names are around.

What OS are the old PC's. If its Windows 2000/XP you'll certainly need to remove them from the domain. It doesnt mean the domain is still there, just means the PC's are looking for it. Same goes for Windows 95/98 clients. Just change the domain they logon to.

Robert Bentley

Bloody hell! Thats over 300 pc's to remove from the domain and rejoin. Please, there has to be a better way?

If its the PC's that are joined to a non-existant domain your screwed im afriad. Maybe create an unnatended Windows setup disk that automatically joins them to the new domains. If your moving PC's to a new domain it won't happen remotely.

Robert Bentley

well... can it be that there is a trust between the old NT4 domain and the new domain.. If so... break the trusts .. and the domain will no longer be listed in your domain list at login time.

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back