Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Killing an Old Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterPhil

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2004
GB
I have two old domains on my Windows 2000/2003 network that are no longer used.

Looking at the notes from Microsoft it tells me that the only way to remove the domains from the network is to run dcpromo on the FSMO (domain controller) running Active Directory.

Now before I build a test server to check this all out, I have only ever used dcpromo to promote/demote a domain controller/member server.

Have I read Microsoft correctly or should I be doing this another way.

Phil

but yes.. all client machines that were members of the old domain - will have to join the new domain...

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Yee Haa,

I found a trust that I hadn't noticed before, and a server on the old domain out at an outlying office that I didn't know about.

Hope to kill the last NT4 box this week and say goodbye to the old domain!

Thanks for your help!

Woohoo!

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

And just to confirm, I managed to get to the remote site on Friday afternoon. Server replaced and the domain now nolonger exists.

Yeeeehaaaaa

Well Done!

Robert Bentley

SynergyworksHosting.co.uk
"reliable services at realistic prices

Bring this back into life.

We killed our old domain and the NT4 servers, shut them down and all.
Just in case we would miss something, we kept the trust between new and old domain.
Now we know (?( that we got everything moved and don´t want the old domain to be mentioned ever again.

Kept getting Event ID 5719 on the new DC. ("There is no domain controller....") Which was absolutely true.

Now I found and deleted the trust between the old and new domain, on the new DC.

Will this end my 5719:s?
Will this be the end of the old no-longer-wanted domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back