Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jumpstart error

Status
Not open for further replies.

COTLG

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
US
I am trying to carry out a jumpstart installation on a client but am getting this error:

Requesting Ethernet address for: 161.158.245.151
panic - boot: could not mount filesystem

Note: 161.158.245.151 is the ip address for the jumpstart server.

What do I do?

My first thought on this is to check your share on your jumpstart server, it should be shared as ro. This should be done automatically by the add_install_client.sh so it should be ok.

Next what are the permissions on your boot image directory? /export/jumpstart/Solaris_2.8/Tools/Boot I presume it was a standard install to the jumpstart server so this again should be ok.

Is the IP/netmask of the machine you are trying to jump on the same subnet as the jumpstart server?

What does the /etc/bootparams on the jumsptart server say? Is it correct in pointing to the correct locations?

Looking at your error again, why is it requesting the ethernet address of your jumpstart server? ...and is it resolving? You should be on the same subnet or have additional nic's on the jumpstart server for each subnet you are jumping, or use a boot server on each additional subnet to boot your host onto the network and then access the jumpstart server.

In addition to the things that "bstep" mentioned, make
sure that the IP address for the client is in the /etc/inet/hosts file of the jumpstart server, and if
your jumpstart server is also your NIS server, put the
client entry in the NIS hosts file also.

you can check /etc/dfs/dfstab file .
check share files system in dfstab file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back