Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Completion Status "Failed" ( BackUp Exec 8.0 ) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
NT 4 Server Backing up entire network, including 1 Exchange Server. We are Backing up approx 80gigs. The log reads that the servers do appear to be attaching itself to all the servers, and Backing up correctly. However, everytime at the end of the log. We get Backup Failed. I am assuming it has something to do with corrupt exchange mailboxes, as there are large number of corrupt mailboxes. Any one with some advice, on how I can get my log to read Success : )

Open the job and find which log file is linked to it. Email the log to zel@zelandakh.co.uk and I'll tell you. It should be bex09.txt or similar.

I am having the same problem using Backup Exec 8.5 Build 3571. I tried download Build 3572 and installing it, but the files wouldn't extract. Do I have to uninstall Build 3571 before I can install Build 3572?

No, if the files don't extract, you may have a bad download.
Also, you should be able to install directly over your existing version so your jobs & catalogs migrate to the new revision.

It could be that verification is on and the system is failing 100% verification due to changes in files during the backup e.g. the exchange database files.

I am running BENT/2000 Server Edition V8.5 along with BENT/2000 Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server V8.5 and have loaded build 3572. I do not have any verification settings on. I can get a successful backup as long as I do not include Exchange. When Exchange is included I get a completed backup in a failed status and the following is an excert from the error log:

Media Name: "Media created 4/20/01 07:30:08 PM"
Backup of "\\STAR5\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes "
Backup set #3 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "full0420"
Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 4/20/01 at 7:51:52 PM.
WARNING: "Barry Wolff [BarryW]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?RR Mail ?PC anywhere stuff" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "Barry Wolff [BarryW]?Top of Information Store?Sent Items?PC anywhere stuff" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "Carmen Burrell [CarmenB]?Top of Information Store?Sent Items?FW: order not received" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "Catherine Myers [CatherineM]?Top of Information Store?Deleted Items?Fw: (HTML Message) A Daily Prayer (Funny)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "Dinesh Patel [DineshP]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?OneCustomerOrderFile?fixed Paula files" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "Eric von Keudell [ericv]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Suppliers?Hardware?Quality Supply?Porter?FW: Artwork for Paint and Sundries" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "John Cao [JohnC]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Vignette Team?R3B images (first set)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "John Cao [JohnC]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Vignette Team?r4b images" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "Matt Eastwood [Matt.Eastwood]?Top of Information Store?ShoppingLists?FW: PSL Load 4/11/01" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "Mike Pucci [MichaelP]?Top of Information Store?Sent Items?FW: PSL Load 4/11/01" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "Paula Ortiz [PaulaO]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Personal?here ya go two word docs are for each packet" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "Sameer Shah [Sameer.Shah]?Top of Information Store?Sent Items?FW: status of user load(s)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Backup completed on 4/20/01 at 11:53:45 PM.
Backed up 355314 mail message(s) in 6132 folder(s) in 157 mailbox(es)
12 corrupt files were backed up
Processed 12,622,676,909 bytes in 4 hours, 1 minute, and 53 seconds.
Throughput rate: 49.8 MB/min

Is there any patches for Exchange that I may have missed or is there a verification setting specifically for Exchange that I may have missed?

We had exactly the same problem for many months. BE was backing up mailboxes, but it seemed to have problems with messages that had attachments.

Have you tried exchange SP4?

After applying the service pack, we upgraded to BE 8.5/build 3572 and it did the trick for us.

Ian

I had Exchange SP4 and was still having the problem so I re-loaded Exchange SP4 then re-installed BE Build 3572 and the Exchange add in. I'm still having problems with backing up Exchange files with attachments. Receiving Top of Information Store Error. Anyone have any other suggestions?

The problem is happening because the messages that are being reported as corrupted have attributes on them that Exchange cannot completely enumerate. Backup Exec version 8.5 build 3572 has many fixes that will resolve most of these errors. The error is not with backup exec, the problem is with MAPI. You can run the Exchange utilities ISinteg, and ESEutil to clean up some of the problems, but this issue can and most likely will occur sometimes. The only way to eliminate these errors completely, is to either delete the offending messages(or move them to a pst file), or stop doing mailbox backups. You may also want to consider setting up a separate job that just does mailbox backups so your regular backup can complete successfully. This will help cut down the burden of assessing why a job failed.

I'm getting a common error when trying to backup, it has an elapsed time usually just around 15 minutes when it stops and gives the error: 'No more data is on the tape.'
This has happened about 8 times now, randomly with almost everytime a different tape. I'm running Vertitas BE 8.0.

-Nihil
nihil@programmer.net

Hey guys I am currently experiencing something similar to what I see here. Back ups are failing. Any help would be appreciated.

WARNING: "\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\MSDesigners98\mdt2g.dll" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
A failure occurred while scanning the objects contained in \Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSDesigners98.
Not all objects contained within were backed up.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
File "Alerts.ldb" in use - Backed up.
File "Alerts.mdb" in use - Backed up.
WARNING: "\Program Files\Hptt\Data\Alerts.mdb" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
File "Meds.ldb" in use - Backed up.
File "Meds.mdb" in use - Backed up.
A failure occurred while scanning the objects contained in \Program
Files\Hptt\Data.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
File "SchedLog.Txt" in use - Backed up.
WARNING: "\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
A failure occurred while scanning the objects contained in \WINNT\system32.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
File "dacscm.dbg" in use - Backed up.
WARNING: "\WINNT\system32\DacServ\drvinst.exe" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
A failure occurred while scanning the objects contained in
\WINNT\system32\DacServ.

Guys I have Veritas 8.5 Build 3571 . Where can I get the update to Build 3572?

Thanks
Salam

Ps. I had the sam problem. all i did was delete the offending email messages. Though this is not an ideal solution. :(

We have encountered the same problem. There is a registry entry HKLM/software/veritas/backupexec/engine/backup (or bkup) and an entry called "Fail on corrupt files". Reset this value from 1 to 0 and that should fix the problem.

doe any of this apply to v 7.5 on Netware 4.11? or where should I go for adveice?

doe any of this apply to v 7.5 on Netware 4.11? or where should I go for advice?

having a tough time configuring veritas backup exec 8.0. Working with Compaq TL891 with two internal drives. Veritas says Changer 1 is offline while both individual drives say online - all help appreciated.

Hi

I followed all the replies on this thread to no avail. Eventually I stopped the norton anti virus service and it worked. It looks like the attatchments that NAV is scanning are coming up as corrupted. I am going to write a simple batch file that stops the service when the backup begins and starts it when it finishes.

cheers for the ideas

Aaron

I couldn't find Backup Exec v8.5 Build 3572. Could someone please tell me where I could find it? Thanks.

I'm having a similar problem.. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm running Backup Exec 8.60 Rev 3878 on NT 4.0 SP6a with Exchange 5.5 sp 4. Here's the errors I'm getting These erros.. Thanx for any answers.

Media Name: "Media created 11/6/01 01:07:24 PM"
Backup of "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Exchange Information Store "
Backup set #5 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Exchange Backup"
Backup Type: FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Backup started on 11/14/01 at 3:02:23 AM.
The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Backup completed on 11/14/01 at 3:18:35 AM.
Backed up 0 Exchange Server store(s)
Processed 4,052,418,646 bytes in 16 minutes and 12 seconds.
Throughput rate: 238.6 MB/min

Media Name: "Media created 11/6/01 01:07:24 PM"
Backup of "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes "
Backup set #6 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Exchange Backup"
Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 11/14/01 at 3:18:36 AM.
WARNING: "Name ommited?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Undeliverable: MONTEL: Schedule for the Week" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
WARNING: "Name ommited?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Undeliverable: MONTEL: Schedule for the Week" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back