Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Completion Status "Failed" ( BackUp Exec 8.0 ) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
NT 4 Server Backing up entire network, including 1 Exchange Server. We are Backing up approx 80gigs. The log reads that the servers do appear to be attaching itself to all the servers, and Backing up correctly. However, everytime at the end of the log. We get Backup Failed. I am assuming it has something to do with corrupt exchange mailboxes, as there are large number of corrupt mailboxes. Any one with some advice, on how I can get my log to read Success : )

Hey Everyone, here is a question that we should all ask eachother because I think NO1GONG may be on the right track. I have been having this problem for the past couple of months. I have been turning services off and on to see if things changed it. No avail... I have Norton AV Corporate and the NAV Exchange Connector installed on this server. What is everyone else using for an AV solution. What is the AV solution set to scan while the backup is running?

i had that and did an offline defrag of my priv.edb
use eseutil /d priv.edb
good luck.

Is the 3572 download a full install or an upgrade patch? Will I need to recreate all jobs etc?

I'm using McAfee, and turning it off before backup occurs and am also having the "The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set aborted." problem. I find it really helpful of Seagate to have absolutely NO reference to this problem on their web site even though it seems that there are a lot of people having essentially the same problem. Anyway, for the record, I'm running 8.5 rev 3572

I too am getting these error messages. The back up is being done but not being verified which is why the status is failed.
You could always not verify the back up or get the users to delete the offending emails.
This only began when I installed updated version of Mcafee to 4.1.6

I'm using version 8.6 rev. 3808. and I went from having a 2 page backup report on friday to a 264 page failed backup report on monday. Not only do I get a sloo of "unable to open file...file is corrupt" errors, but I am also getting tons of "Unable to open item....skipped...Access to file denied" Also, under the "job definitions" tab as of the 16th (today) there are several "jobs" that I do not recognize such as 0000049, 0000048, etc. along with my normal monday, tuesday, wednesday, etc. I assume these are reattempted backups that also failed, but there are so many of them that all of them could not have possibly completed and failed as a backup of the mailboxes takes over 5 hours to complete. I am also running NAV corp. 7.6 w/exchange plugin. Anyone have any clues?

-abb

check for viruses that have been quarrantined and delete them from folder and also from recycle box. That may be the cause of the unable to open faults you are getting. I had a test virus file and it prevented me from successful backup until it was deleted.
[smilejap]

Make sure that Open File option is selected. This is under the advanced tab in the Job definition section. If this is not selected Veritas will see the file as corrupt if it is open.

As for the first posting to this thread, check out two technotes at Knowledge Base:
TechNote ID: 231185, TechNote ID: 234568
As for the guy with the changer that is not showing up. If this is not a multi-LUN robotic library, make sure the changer or robotic arm is set with a lesser SCSI ID than the two drives. IE. SCSI ID for changer is 3, and the drives are 4 and 5. This is how Veritas has to "see" the devices.

This may or may not be related, but because mailbox backups are MAPI based, I think anti-virus software may very well be the cause. A similar issue arose with my recent foray with EXMERGE, and indeed attachments and NAV were the culprit. Here's a link to why, and something that can be done to help (link will Wrap) :

When Backup Exec encounters a corrupt file, the job will fail by default. By adding or modifying the registry key mentioned below, Backup Exec can be configured not to fail the job when a corrupt file is encountered. Please note, this solution is not intended for use with Microsoft Exchange files. Corrupt Microsoft Exchange files may be indicative of another problem with the Exchange store.
You can create a registry key to remove the unwanted error....

1. Run REGEDT32.EXE.

2. Highlight the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Backup

3. On the menu bar, choose Edit > Add Value

4. In the Value name field, type in Fail Jobs On Corrupt Files

5. For the Data Type, choose REG_DWORD

6. When prompted for the Data, type in 0 (without the quotes)

7. Click OK.

8. Close REGEDT32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back