Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J2EE and WebStart

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJ

Programmer
Sep 26, 2002
PT
Can I use WebStart and J2ee?

If so is there anything different that should be done to get EJB references or it's just the same as a simple j2ee client application?

One thing I noted is that accessing EJBs from standalone java apps via RMI is much slower than accessing them from JSPs via Http.

So if one could use htpp as the protocol in java WebStart for accessing EJB references like using JSPs that would be excelent.

The standard way of accessing EJBs is through JNDI regardless whether your client is a standalone java application or a lightweight JSP web client.

JSPs are generally faster since it just outputs text that's rendered by your browser. Standalone java apps are a bit slower when loading for the first time but provides a richer user experience.

Webstart simply "wraps" your application for easier loading and updates. The JNDI lookups still remain the same and would not need to change.

I hope this helps.

The reason why accessing EJB seems quicker via JSP is that generally the servlet container and ejb container reside within the same J2EE server - so the references to EJBs are local, and not serialized out to another JVM, as they are in standalone EJB clients.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

Forgot to mention the local references... It depends on what EJB spec you're using. EJB 1.0 doesn't have local references. But who still uses EJB 1.0 now anyway? [pipe]

LAMski :

Not strictly true.
Yes, the EJB spec did not have local EJB objects. But many J2EE vendors realized that there was no point in serializing an object if it never left the JVM, so thay in effect made their own custom local EJBs. This was one of the reasons why local EJBs entered the 2.0 spec.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back