Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J139/J179 Phones issues (SOLVED) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapestew

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2014
US
I am installing an Avaya IP Office with R11 SP2 with J100 SIP phones.
Everything has been smooth sailing, well, until I reboot the IP Office.
After the reboot, the J139 and J179 phones seem to lose communications. Buttons stop working and no dial tone.
Reboot the phone and it works fine until the next reboot.
The catch is the J129 phones are not affected.
I have went line by line in the 46xx file and cant seem to find anything that stands out. Any Ideas?

Have you changed anything on the 46xxsettings.txt? if you delete your fiel, it will auto-generate a new one. the auto-generated file has everything it needs for the J series phones. If you did modify it, after auto-generating the new one, change what needs to be changed.

@Telecomtekperson,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I have worked with Jenne and they suggest contacting Avaya.
I installed the 4.0 patch and 46xx file that comes with that patch.
Still the same issue. 4.0 is the latest available patch but I hear Avaya has another that addresses a similar issue
but you need IPOSS to obtain which we just ordered. So we will see.

Have you followed documentation for setting up SIP devices? Enabling SIP registrar, setting up SIP domain etc?????

We need to know a bit more about the network between the phones and the IP Office. Whats doing the DHCP? Whats doing routing/firewalls/DNS etc.

I have J100s of every model on my test rigs and they have a hard life of system upgrades, systems being switched off at the end of every day, back on next day, etc and never a problem.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Thanks guys!

I knew it was not VLAN related since reboots fix the issue. If routing, trunking or an access port is not configured right that will flat out break it. It only happens on reboot of the IPO, reboot the phone and it’s functional again.

Also the J129’s don’t have the problem at all.

I did start experimenting with the 46xx file like you suggested. I deleted it, rebooted the phone, and it came up fine. Rebooted the IPO and noticed this time it was “acquiring service” which is a positive sign vs it just sitting there like nothings happening. Deleting that file fixed the issue.

Out of curiosity, I followed the steps Jenne sent me and it broke it again. I’m pretty certain this document is out dated for R11 SP2. The newer 46xx files don’t require any editing.

Thank you for suggesting that, this is almost 150 phones and my cut was delayed once and rescheduled for this Thursday evening. You saved the day for all of us!!

I’ll update Jenne and let them know that their quick guide is outdated and breaking things!!

You guys rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back