Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is using BCC ethical? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleD

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
US
Is it ethical to use BCC?

Personally I use it for two reasons:
1. I want my boss to be aware of something, but I don't want the recipient to think I'm trying to force their hand by copying in bosses.

2. I'm sending a personal email to a group of folks and don't need each of them to see that whole list of emails at the top, especially in case they would do a Reply-To-All. Then people receive emails from individuals they don't even know.

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

I don't see anything wrong with number 2 because it is respecting the privacy of others.

On the other hand I don't agree with number one because it can cause unintended complications. I had a coworker do this to me and when the boss responded to all it created alot of hassle.

I generally handle situations like that by sending the initial email to the recipient and then forwarding a copy of that email to my boss with a short explanation as to why I hadn't copied him on the original (i.e. nothing you need to get involved in, but I just wanted you to be aware of what was happening).

BCC has been part of business operations for decades -- even back to the days of manual typewriters and carbon paper. Which is where it gets it's name: Blind Carbon Copy.

Chip H.

ChipH,
Embezzlement goes back even further, that doesn't make it right.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

DoubleD:
I think your analogy is flawed. Embezzling is not a business operation, but rather an abuse of legitimate business operations.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Technically they are both business operations. Albeit embezzlement is not a legitimate operation. Many employees have the ability to do both.

I'm most interested in whether people feel it's appropriate to use BCC, and in what situations.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

I'm with chiph on this one. If you're sending out a business email, you should be responsible enough to know that BCC is an option, and you shouldn't say things that could lead to trouble. As far as the boss replying to it, there should've been better communication ahead of time with the boss. If it's something that they need to be aware of, let them know BEFORE you send it out... then send them BCC just so they see it exactly. BCC in this case would be a good idea... if anything about the wording of the email comes up, the boss has a copy already that is exactly like what was sent out. That's just basic CYA.

Ben

There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Correction:

BCC has been part of normal business operations for decades.

Chip H.

First, there is a case for which "BCC" is not only ethical, but absolutely indicated/required: if you are sending a broadcast message (anecdote, story, joke, item of interest, et cetera) to a list of recipients that otherwise do not know one another. There is nothing more invasive of my cyber privacy than some idiot that sends me a "joke" and ends up broadcasting my e-mail to the rest of her/his cyber-world because s/he did not use "BCC". To those people, I send a stern instructional e-mail indicating that one of the Spammers' Best Friend is someone who does not use BCC to protect the e-mail privacy of recipients.

Secondly, it is becoming protocol for seasoned e-mail users to respond only to the sender when the recipient is a BCC recipient...never to "REPLY ALL" or to "reply" or "forward" to any recipient besides the sender if you are a BCC recipient.

Thirdly, as a personal rule of thumb for e-mail use: I never put anything in an e-mail that could return to haunt me, legally or personally. Remember, e-mails often outlive their authors! If you have something sensitive or inflamatory to discuss with someone, do it in person or via some "ethereal" method (i.e., some intangible method that leaves no traces).

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Santa,

Your three rules, above, should be required reading of all e-mail users ! I will start admonishing broadcast abusers that do not use BCC.

Thanks for the good advice.

The only reason I use BCC is to keep the list of addresses to a minimum and to reduce spam.

Anything sent via email is subject to being forwarded infinitely which promts me to append the following to all submitted e-mails:

DISCLAIMER

THIS MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS TOTALLY USELESS AND/OR PROHIBITED BY LAW. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT THE SENDER IS A COMPLETE IDIOT WHO CAN'T KEEP HIS OR HER E-MAIL ADDRESSES STRAIGHT TO SAVE HIS OR HER LIFE. DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, COPYING OR COMMUNICATION OF THIS MESSAGE IS STRICTLY ENCOURAGED AS TO LET THE REST OF THE WORLD IN ON WHATEVER MISCHIEF IS BEING PERPUTRATED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY TO LET HIM OR HER KNOW WHAT A COMPLETE TOOL HE OR SHE IS AND RESEND THIS MESSAGE WITH YOUR REPLY REPEATEDLY. PLEASE NOTE THAT ALTHOUGH WE WILL TAKE ALL COMMERCIALLY REASONABLE EFFORTS TO PREVENT VIRUSES FROM BEING TRANSMITTED FROM OUR SYSTEMS, IT SIMPLY MEANS THAT IF WE HIT THE SEND BUTTON AND IT GOES, IT'S YOUR IN-BASKET, NOT OURS, SO YOU'D BETTER MAKE SURE YOU'VE GOT YOUR OWN REAR COVERED, SPARKY. IF NOT, IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE RECIPIENT TO CHECK FOR AND FORWARD ADVERSE ACTION BY VIRUSES FROM YOUR OWN SYSTEMS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR FECAL REGISTER.

HAVE A DAY!

< M!ke >

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back