Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there hope for "older" students? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelaine

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
US
I am 44, have an Associate's Degree from 1988 in Computer Information Systems that I never really did much with. I returned to school 2 years ago to "update" my degree, and have concentrated on networking classes. My school offers more Novell courses than Microsoft, so I have taken them all, and am pretty close to getting my CNE. Am taking the Microsoft class now, and may try for the new MCSA eventually, or maybe the MCSE. My question is: do I have a chance of finding a job at my age? Even though I have taken the classes, we have gotten very little "hands-on" experience in any of these classes, and really still feel like I don't know anything. I work in a small office and serve as the network administrator, but the exposure I get is pretty minimal. Also, how important is it to have the Bachelor's Degree? I was hoping to just take a few classes and get some certifications and be able to do something with that. To go for the BS degree would take me another couple of years. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing all this for nothing.

I am raking my brain(s) across the coals trying to find some sort of an analogy to the following thought:

'Could this be, when it comes time to think up a new password, the most intelligent people I know give me the 'deer in headlights' look and cannot think of a simple password if their life depended on it ?'

Here's my good ol opinion: Today, what it comes down to, in this Industry, is, you work 8 to 5, and then, whenever you get home, you work (studying) for 4-6 more hours, at least 3 nights a week. The folks that I know that do that, are very well off.
The folks that didn't want to do that, well, we learned the hard way, but we were the workers of the '70's and '80's. We didn't go home after work and study new stuff, mainly because we were busy actually working 70 hour weeks, but also because there wasn't a whole lot to study.
That all changed in the mid-90's, and it changes every 4 months now, but from 1965 to about 1988, all we had was what IBM delivered to us. Oh sure, we had some sort of DOS/Windows, Lotus 1-2-3, Wordperfect, FoxPro - those were just starting out, but a lot of us thought those were toys, and there was little else besides those.

All I can try to impress on everyone reading this forum is this: If you see some story or report on some newfangled software that you think is a year or two away, and it sounds interesting in theory to you, jump on it, because it isn't 2 years away, it's about 6 months away at most, and if your company thinks it will help bring in $$$ they will be looking at it very closely, no matter what it is.

This is why I urge everyone to really be checking into the wireless LAN/security/palm/pda/internet areas, because some of the biggest companies in this town are already working in that direction, and the technology is BARELY out there.
This is uncharted territory, and I don't think MCSE's or CCNA's or CNA's are needed
in this area. Maybe I am wrong.........

Do something - learn something - It isn't going to fix itself.

I love the posts here and yes indeed techies do abound.... I tend to agree that we umm.... older ones are a bit more resiliant... however I have been programming in basic for years... not much call for it these days but in a funny way because most people don't know it I have an advantage... *smile*... I believe what ever we learn is never wasted however I do agree that not much has actually changed over the last 20 yrs... the basics, so to speak are still pretty much the same... Everyone needs an angel now and then... *smile*...

one more thought... I have basically quit taking courses these days as I have so much hands on and always reading and learning... I do networking for business and in home training, trouble shooting and upgrading... but the learing process never ends... I even have a pc just for trying new things as they come out... hands on is far better than book learning... although my programming in basic is from the old days before windows existed it does get attention enough for most people to scan my resume to see I am quit capable in many areas... and "great" references do come in to play... good luck to you all... Everyone needs an angel now and then... *smile*...

Elaine,
My opinion is unless you have experience in the field at age 44 classes will not help less you know someone who will hire you.
I tried changeing my career and got an AS in electronics and could not find a decent job because I did not have experience. I feel the "high tech field" is mainly a "young" "male dominated" field overall (no comments please - just my observation). I would focus my energy on being self employed (if not in to much debt).Maybe get a degree in the field your currently in while working.
Mind you I am no expert...
Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back