Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Lotus Notes dead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
I have been working with Notes as a developer, certified consultant and instructor for more than eight years now.
I have followed the evolution of this amazing product since Release 3, and learned all its quirks and programming practices from Formula language to LotusScript and Java (okay - I'm a bit lacking in Java).
This product has evolved tremendously by integrating many abilities having to do with web development, and all LN developers I know have always cheered Lotus on in this direction.
Yet, for the past year I have noticed a disturbing trend - consultancy companies are using more and Java and Web developers to program in Notes. While I have no issues with the level of competence these people have in their respective fields, I have been placed many times with the responsibility of maintaining and changing applications developed by these kind of developers after the fact. I have also lost a job to a junior Java developer because the management of the company found that I was too expensive.
Well, I can tell you one thing - such applications are not good from a Notes development point of view. There are many things one can do in Notes natively without resorting to complicated code, but if the Web/Java developer does not know what a replica is, how the ACL works, what Author/Reader fields are for, how Inheritance works and what to do with views and forms, then this is a recipe for disaster.
I fear that, ultimately, Lotus has created so many functionalities into its product that many managers (and customers) are starting to think that anybody who can write a VB script can develop a whole Notes application.

Has anyone else noticed this ? What are your horror stories on Notes applications developed by third parties ?

pmonett,

"I do not understand why corporations decide to go with a mail client that has been is continually is publicly and repeatedly proven a major risk when other, less vulnerable clients exist"

Thats an easy one. Great Marketing. A little smoke and mirrors go a long way. As I am quickly learning.

Though I tend to like M$ in general,XBOX is great, Outlook is not one program I hold very highly.

AJ
[americanflag]

If at first you do not succeed, cheat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back