Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is Lotus 123 Release 5 compatible with Windows 2000??? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandoc

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2001
US
Have not been able to get 123 r5 to run under Win2000 SP1. Has anyone had success getting it to work? Should it work? Is there a work-around if it doesn't out of the box? Thanks for any info!!!

I see it has been a while since any one has posted here. Has any one had any problems with slow access to files using File Open? I have a PC running Windows 2000 and Novell 4.81 SP1 and Lotus 123 R5. It takes for ever for the file list to come up on the screen. If you open a file from the most recent list it works fine.

Alan

Alan,

I can't offer a "direct fix". However, as a work-around, what about creating a desktop folder for the files you need to open? Then use the folder (Explorer window) to view and open Lotus 123 files.

I hope this helps :)

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

I would like to thank henryHI (Aug31,2001) for the Registry Fix regarding running Lotus 1-2-3R5 under Windows 2k.

Running Novell Client 4.9 with Netware 5.1 under Windows 2k.
123 Release 5.00 and 5.01 produced the GRP fault at each start up EXCEPT the first after a reboot.

Changing the "WOW\DefaultSeparateVDM" parameter to Yes has fixed the problem.

Thanks

Can somebody how to resolve the next problem.
I cannot print charts from 123 R5 to a postscript printer under windows XP. Under Windows 2000 this worked normally.
I am able to print the charts when using a PCL printer driver. But this only works on my directly connected HP laser printer. Al other network-printers only support Postscript.
When printing a chart directly from 123 R5 using the latest postscript drivers the printed graph only shows the frame around the chart and the Title of the chart. The axes and chart itself is not displayed.

jvenst
on a couple of our pcl printers, we've solved some printing issues by setting graphics to raster and selecting "print truetype fonts as bitmap". Dont know if these settings are available in postscript and/or if they'd help there.

The best way to print grafiks from 123 is to use a PDF-print-driver. That should solve your problem. Also the well known 123R5 grafik bug, printing lines always thin, then is no longer a problem. With a little bit scripting you can do all batchwise.

HTH, Reinhard

I had to make the changes I mentioned in order to print pdf files.

I've installed several pdf-print-driver and there where nothing to change.

123R5, W2kSp2, Acrobat Distiller, PDF-Writer, JAWS-PDFCreator and PDF-Factory.

I would say load down the trial version of PDF-Factory - I think fineline.com - and try it.

HTH, Reinhard

I have a question. I have read all of these items and haven't quite hit on my problem. My uncle wanted to use Lotus 123 release 5 because he loves it. He had installed Lotus Smartsuite, and just didn't like it. I bought the Lotus 123 release 5 on ebay for $7 (with shipping) - yea - and sent it to him. He has Windows XP home edition. He un-installed Lotus Smart Suite and installed Lotus 123 release 5, and it came up fine the first time. He tried to go to the smart icons and clicked on the open file manager button to add it to his icon bar.....but first tried to edit it. Got an error : MAIN123 caused a General Protection Fault in Module MAIN123.EXE at 000C:09BC. You have to close lotus. After that you cannot open lotus again until you reboot. I want to know a couple things...

#1) why can't he edit the macro and CAN HE ever do that since that's the reason he got the program in the first place was because of the marco - ability

#2) can we get rid of the GPF error for good? and can i have a step-by-step to doing this? Do I have to edit the registry?

This is a standalone computer at a home.....no Novell...no network....has AOL and that's about it.

My Uncle is retired and this is how he entertains himself....he's an accountant, so spreadsheets are him! I'd love to get this fixed.

HELP

The error is benign: you can click IGNORE several times in quick succession and you can then edit the icon.

A more graceful way to deal with the problem is to reduce the color palette under set up (windows) to high-color from true-color. Then you shouldn't get the error at all.

A while back this was posted:
smo131 (Visitor) Aug 23, 2002
I am also running windows xp pro with 123 release 5. I am running into the same problems with the color panel not showing up. A gentleman in my office called and found out you can obtain an upgrade for 123 release 5 to get it to work properly in xp. I do not know if it works yet because I just found out about it. If anybody else hears of an easy fix to this minor problem please post and let me know. Any help with this one and I'll be grateful.

I am having the same problem with the pull-down color pallette and am at a loss as to how to solve it. I haven't been able to find the "upgrade" for version 5 he refers to.

Has ANYBODY got a fix?!!

I found the answer to the "pull down color pallette" problem at thread69-437781 !!!

All you have to do is right click on the desktop, choose properties, Appearance, then EFFECTS, then DISABLE the first one: "Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips."

That fixed my 123V5 pulldown color chart problem immediately. Thank you Tek-Tips. I'm soooooooooo releived....

Help !! Please.

I have Lotus 5.0 running on XP. The problems is that when I try to print to a file, it gives me an error message "Unable to access output device". It was working fine under Windows 98. Has anyone experienced such an issue, and what is the solution.

Thank you.

Sherif

Hi Sherif

The print to file no longer works as far as I know! What you need to do is {open} a file and then add to the content of the line by using {writeln}. Increase the row number and write the next line. When done (close} the file - this will create things like comma delimited files etc.

Example
{open +"r:\"&a_file&".txt";w}
{for a_count,0,@rows(printsales_r)-2,1,s1_extractagent}
{close}

SUB-ROUTINE
s1_extractagent (writes each line to the open text file)
{writeln +@index(printsales_r,0,a_row)&","&@index(printsales_r,3,a_row)&","&@string(@index(printsales_r,4,a_row),0)}
{let a_row,a_row+1}
{return}

Long winded, but it works!
mikesherlock

Hope this helps Win 2000 and XP users.

I have a suite of 10 spreadsheets that load data, calculate, print a report and then load the next spreadsheet (without saving anything). With Win 2000 after 4, 5 or 6 (variable) reports coming off it would slow down to a crawl. With XP the printer started sending rubbish.

What I did was disable the undo - {SET "SETUP-UNDO";"NO"} and re-enabled it after use and it cured the problem.

mikesherlock

While I realize Lotus 1-2-3 has a somewhat cultish following but really GET A LIFE. The software you know and love is dead! Move on. The vendor has performed last rites (they haven't had a release in 5 years and haven't patched any of the bugs in over 2 years). My first IT job was designing reports in 123. I liked the interface (I still catch myself using "/" in excel), but it is dead, Dead, DEAD! It has become an almost impossible support millstone to us poor helpdesk, desktop, networking people. Pronounce it. Move On. Or form a coalition to buy the source from Lotus/IBM and fix the damn software.

This is analogous to those die hard mac users that insist on using a mac for things they are not well suited for... like any business app.

hello everyone :)

I've got just the same problem - win2k on "dell optiplex gx240".. and organizer 5.0 just won't start... without any massage. Simply nothing happens. Is there oany way to fix it?
or
I can switch to organizer 6.0, but for some office reasons, calendar files must be in or5 format. When I open a file without converting to or6 format - the calendar is blanked! When I convert it to or6 format, I cannot save it in or5 format then. Is there any patch or plugin maybe for organizer 6.0 to save files in or5 format?

Best Regards
Michael

I have read through all of these postings, but none of them seem to have the same problem that I am receiving. I am trying to convert some old lotus 123 presentation files into .ppt files. The problem arises when I try to open these files with Power Point. Obviously, power point will not open them. So I tried to install Lotus 123 R5 and kept getting the error, "Insufficient disk space." I tried copying the files from the cd to my desktop into a folder and running it there and it didn't work. I am trying to install the program onto a Windows 2000 machine with service pack 4 on it, no Novell client, and no PC-Anywhere. I have also tried installing SmartSuite 97 with the same error. I aeven tried installing it through the cammand prompt and is still gave me the same error. Does anyone have any ideas as what to do? I am running out of ideas myself. HELP! :-(

I am a long time 1-2-3 R5 user and I have to agree that it is much more powerful than anyone gives it credit for. It is so powerful I'm running into an issue keeping some programs alive at work.

We recently all (company wide) got new PCs with Win XP Pro. I need to move some large billing spreadsheets to these XP machines but I'm running into problems during testing. The screen will not refresh.

I have run one of the programs all the way through so I know the macros themselves are working. When you crtl-pgup/pgdwn through the sheets the screen will not refresh unless I minimize and then maximize the Lotus window.

The new machines are P4 2.4 Ghrtz with 32 MB ATI Radeon 9000 video built into the motherboard. Is this a video card issue? I'm just not sure where to go with this. Re-writing these apps is not an option.

I've tried playing with the resolution (640x480 up to 1024 x 768) and the colors (256 up to 16.7 M) but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Long Live Lotus!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back