Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is Lotus 123 Release 5 compatible with Windows 2000??? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandoc

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2001
US
Have not been able to get 123 r5 to run under Win2000 SP1. Has anyone had success getting it to work? Should it work? Is there a work-around if it doesn't out of the box? Thanks for any info!!!

SmartSuite 97 and Win2000. Recently my computer was upgraded and the new machine came with Win2000. After I installed WordPro from SmartSuite 97 the system could no longer find the network printers that were previously installed. I tried to reinstall them but the system could literally not find them on the network. Network printers which were not installed prior to the SmartSuite installation appear to istall OK. Can anyone shed any light on this and offer me a fix.

We have Lotus 123 installed with novell client 4.8. Sometimes the client gets corrupted and Lotus will give errors and not launch. The fix is to reinstall the client or to maybe upgrade to 4.81. Do not upgrade the client to 4.83 becuase users will not be able to open their files on network drives, I guess this is a bug in the new release. I hope this helps some people since it toke me some time to figure out.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I am a long-time Lotus 123 user (to original version) and love Release 5. Have just purchased new PC with Windows 2000 and can get 5 to run, but icon tray doesn't stay open on top, can't change font color and other oddities. Any ideas?

lotus was working fine on windows 98 and after installing win 98 arabic enabled, none of the files in 123 can be printed. can anyone let me know what i can do to set it right. I cant uninstall arabic enabled windows and go back to win english

We've experienced problems with 123r5 with win2000 AND novell 4.83 client.

Problem: as soon as you type a character in 123 it'll crash giving you an error related to 0x0303030303 memory could not be read.

Solution: We uninstalled both the Novell 4.83 client and 123r5...next re-install 123r5 (btw we're using 9.6), reboot, re-install novell client (same version we used previously) and it resolved the issue.

Hope you have the same luck!

I do NOT have any problems you discuss about Novell. But, I am having problems with 123 v5 and Windows 2000 in 2 ways:

1) Cannot save a text file. For example, select a range in the worksheet, click on file->save as. In the pull-down list of types of files, select text (txt) and then give a file name. I get an error: Cannot access output device. If I click on F1 in this error dialog box, it says either my printer is not connected to the port or there is not sufficient memory. Both are impossible!

2) Trying to send mail. Same message.

Any clues?

I am having the same problem as bapu - if I use {file-extract mike.txt;text (txt);.......} the message comes back as "Unable to access output device". This also happens using the old commands /pf etc. I am running Win 2000 professional SP2. Any help would be appreciated.!!

The network printer problem I had running Lotus 5.0A through a Win 2000 server (with no Novell drivers in sight) was overcome by capturing the queue. I cannot remember the exact error message, but it was something like "Unable to print".

Mike

I am having the same problem as bapu - if I use {file-extract mike.txt;text (txt);.......} the message comes back as "Unable to access output device". This also happens using the old commands /pf etc. I am running Win 2000 professional SP2. Any help would be appreciated.!!

The network printer problem I had running Lotus 5.0A through a Win 2000 server (with no Novell drivers in sight) was overcome by capturing the queue. I cannot remember the exact error message, but it was something like "Unable to print".

Mike

Same problem as bapu & Mike H.

I have a client with the same problem.
Just wondering where the Lotus people are before I switch another large company to Excel. They must own MS Stock.

Mark

I finally figured out how to create a text file from Lotus 1-2-3 version 5 with Windows NT/2000.

I put the following code into a macro and ran it. It works! yeah. This small snipet of code is how I began and then added more complex code to meet my app's needs. But, this is how I got started. Try it - you'll be glad.

You can probably search for more information in the help files in your Lotus worksheet for OPEN commands.

{OPEN "c:\testfile.txt";w}
{writeln "hello"}
{close}

Good luck.

I had the same problem as several of the previous people with unable to access output device. I had been running Windows 2000 with Novell Client 4.81 without any problems. This error started occurring when I installed the 4.83 version of the Novell Client. I fixed the error by uninstalling 4.83 and reinstalling 4.81.

We're starting to switch from NT to Windows 2000 on our PCs. We are encountering the General Protection Fault (GPF) error that keeps Lotus 123 v5 from running (we do have Novell Client 4.8) in the Windows 2000 environment.

I have read the correspondences to date and found the reference to the wowexec.exe process (ending the process before starting Lotus 123) to be a partial fix for us. Lotus does run after ending the process. But when I followed the directions from henryHI to change the regedit entry value for DefaultSeperateVDM to yes, I still get the GPF error message and have to manually end the wowexec.exe process to get Lotus 123 to start again.

I also discovered that if another 16 bit program is running, Lotus 123 starts with no problem. Lotus 123 only has a problem when it is the first 16 bit program to run.

Does anyone have a way to have wowexec.exe close itself down after all 16 bit programs are ended?

Thank-you for any help! - George

I have dicovered that Lotus 123 v5 will run on our systems just fine if opened using the START/PROGRAMS/... button.

I am still unable to open it using the NAL ICON without manually ending the wowexec.exe program, but the START button method always works.

I would still be interested in any replies that have a way to have wowexec.exe close itself down after all 16 bit programs are ended

Thank-you for any help! - George

There are 4 patches to the Novell Client 4.83 on Novell's website. I installed them all and Release 5 now works fine on Windows XP. I'm not sure which patch fixed it.

Hi Bill K,
Is it possible to send me the names of these 4 patches. I have a similar problem, but don't find any patch for it.
Thanks
Herman.Verhoeven@village.uunet.be

I've had some of the problems discussed about when installing 123 on Win2K. First, I couldn't get it to install. I was getting FLW+855: Overflow, and the install would terminate. I discovered that Freelance Graphics wouldn't install on Win2K, so I unchecked that option and it installed fine. Then I couldn't get 123 to start. So I re-installed my Novell client (4.8). Now, we're opening the program. However, once I close the program, I have to manually end process on wowexec.exe to re-open 123. I tried the registry fix, with no luck. Any fixes for the wowexec problem?
dlord@huber.com

I am currently running 123R5 on both windows 2000 professional and windows XP. They both run OK with a couple of quirks; 1)123 will crash on the Win2000 machine if I try to edit a smarticon and 2) the WinXP machine will not allow me to see the color panel to select colors. It's there and it works but for the most part invisible. I am very concerned that someday my 123R5 will become obsolete and I'm going to be screwed because there are just some things I can't figure out any other way to get done. I've tried the more recent versions, but some of the things I need aren't there. I do as much as I can on Excel, and there are things I like about it, but the big drawback is Visual Basic vs. the 123 macros. There is no comparison.

I am also running windows xp pro with 123 release 5. I am running into the same problems with the color panel not showing up. A gentleman in my office called and found out you can obtain an upgrade for 123 release 5 to get it to work properly in xp. I do not know if it works yet because I just found out about it. If anybody else hears of an easy fix to this minor problem please post and let me know. Any help with this one and I'll be grateful.

I am also running windows xp pro with 123 release 5. I am running into the same problems with the color panel not showing up. A gentleman in my office called and found out you can obtain an upgrade for 123 release 5 to get it to work properly in xp. I do not know if it works yet because I just found out about it. If anybody else hears of an easy fix to this minor problem please post and let me know. Any help with this one and I'll be grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back