Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to have two exchange accounts open in Outlook 2003? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skhoury

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2003
US
Hello all,

I am trying to solve a very annoying problem.

Our customer support department needs to have access to their own mailbox in addition to the customer support mailbox.

It seems that in Outlook 2003, we are unable to load more than Exchange account (i.e. personal and resource).

Does anyone know a way around this, or perhaps another suggestion?

If you are wondering why we didnt use public folders to host the customer support account, it is because for some reason, public folders have an extremely limited set of rules functionality (when compared to a regular email account).

Any help is much apprecaite...thanks!

Sam

Unfortunatly, in Outlook 2003 you cannot do this.

Previous versions allowed this, not 2003.

That is my problem.

Oh. OK. I've running Outlook 2003 SP2 and I've just tested it and it works fine. What error do you get when you try it?

In Outlook, go to File > Open and choose "Other User's Mailbox". You can then search Active Directory for the mailbox, and assuming you've given that person the proper permissions to access the mailbox, you can open it.

Then, in your File > Open list, the other mailbox will appear, and you can switch back and forth very easily.

Hope this helps.

"Rule #1 - When stumped, check your Event Logs!

Really??? Holy cow, ok I'm running Outlook 2k3 with SP2 also.

Here is the exact steps im taking:

Tools -> E-mail Accounts -> 'View or change existing e-mail accounts' -> Add -> 'Microsoft Exchange Server'.

Then, I get the error message: "You already have a Microsoft Exchange Server account set up. Outlook supports only one Exchange Server account at a time."

Any thoughts?

BigFunkey - You're idea is a possiblity, however what about managing the rules for that inbox, or view all the sub folders...it just makes it a pain overall.

Although it is a thought as a last resort.

Just brainstorming, but what about using OWA to log onto the other mailbox?

The downside is they would need to know the password for the account and depending on your environment that might be bad. But they could have outlook open and OWA up at the same time. And you can set up rules on the OWA side.

Just a thought and may not work for you but thought I would throw that out there.

Good luck

Hey Empmark, thanks for the suggestion.

That is in fact, exactly what I am doing.

They however find it to be inconvienent....sigh.

Furthermore, we have a special 3rd party app that aids them at their task adn this can only be integrated into Outlook, not OWA.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

No...

Tools -> E-mail Accounts -> 'View or change existing e-mail accounts' -> Change -> Change -> More Settings -> Advanced.

Add the other one in there.

Brilliant! that is exactly what I wanted to achieve!

Now, just one last problem.

when I add the account, it tells me :

"Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location."

Any thoughts on that? Perhaps a permissions issue?

Absolutely. The punter needs to right click his Mailbox top level folder, go to properties and add you in as a reviewer or whatever. Then do the same thing for his Inbox or whichever folder/s is/are relevant.

You'd be better off using a Public Folder for the Customer Support account.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Ah I see...perfect! Thanks again man.

58 - I agree if it wasnt for the fact that MS has really crappy support for rule sets with respect to PFs....sigh, what can you do?

What do you need rules for in a PF? At my last place, we handled HUNDREDS of emails coming into a PF with a 1/2 dozen or so support staff.

LOL - that is the problem: We only have two people monitoring this one account and they have to deal with about 1000+ emails a day with about 80% spam rate. Not pretty.

I think you'd be better off addressing the spam issue at the server level (if not higher), and then using a PF. The resulting level of emails would more manageable for two people, and you could grant SEND AS rights.

You can do send as on mailboxes but I agree with Pat that Spam should be handled centrally. Get yourself a copy of GFi Mail Essentials.

You can do SEND AS on PFs, too.

GFI Mail Essentials is a great app, ain't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back