Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRRITATING words and expressions 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyazh

Programmer
Sep 18, 2006
US
UNDOCUMENTED ALIEN -- "If they haven't followed the law to get here, they are by definition 'illegal.' It's like saying a drug dealer is an 'undocumented pharmacist.'" -- John Varga, Westfield, New Jersey.

Greg's "List of irritating words and Phrases"

AIIGHT - Short for "All right"... just all run together. I've heard staff at work say it over the radio. Drives me NUTS.

GIT'R'DUN - OK, it was cute the first 200 times I heard it. Now it's just getting annoying.

DOWNSIZED - When we're too pansy-assed to say "Fired"

PARADIGM - OK, I don't really find this one irritating.... just the people using it who don't actually know what it means.

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

It is totally a PARADIGM isn't it? :)) (could you tell if I knew what it means?)

Calling a 'problem' a challenge'.

I hate managers that do that!.

Dazed and confused

Reminds me of Maggie Thatcher's edict 'Don't bring me problems, bring me solutions'.

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

mielieu - what? What does this even mean? Can't you freakin just say environment!?

--Gooser

[ ]
TRUST ME - When I hear that I want run the other way as fast as possible. Trustworthy people have NO need of pointing out their trustworthiness.

mmerlinn

"Political correctness is the BADGE of a COWARD!"

Using the words 'was like' instead of 'said'. Grrr!

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Fantastic, because people seem to think it's another way of saying 'that's good'.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

This is just the kind of person I am" - never heard it from a decnt person:))

Irregardless" is big here in Ohio along with "couple-few".

In print it's, allot vs. a lot, the improper uses of there/their/ they're and to vs. too.

A little knowledge is dangerous.

Oooh... how about people who use the word "Like" every third word?

It's, like, really, like annoying! You, like, know what I mean?

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

Used to be 'um' every third word.

mmerlinn

"Political correctness is the BADGE of a COWARD!"

'Know what I mean?'. Well actually, no I don't know what you mean, otherwise I wouldn't have asked in the first place!

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

Big Picture--"You just don't understand the big picture."

I understand that the big boss has a new bass boat with the vendor's logo on it at home and now we have to use the crap sold by the vendor.

The Truth is" (used by journalists to part their opinion on particular products, services or news stories), and the group of people who insist on inserting an expletive into every sentence.

John

Gooser said:

ARRRGH! Yes! Any L33T $P33K drives me up a TREE.

LRN 2 SP3||, YOU lazy GITS!

PWN u N00BS.... arrrgh! Just drives me nuts.

I mean, you can't even READ some of that crap!

I 0WnZ ur B0X0R, LUSR.

Sheesh.

Just my 2¢
--Greg

Ken's signature framed as a quote! So I said it, sorry!

All your base are belong to us!

Grow up.

--Gooser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back