Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPhone SIP Client With Mitel 3300

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelcoLurker

Technical User
Sep 8, 2010
US
I'm using the Bria Counterpath SIP client on both my IPhone and IPad and it works very well. Setup was fairly simple. All you need is an available User License on the 3300.

Do you have a link to any instructions on this?

Cheers

I use the Vnet iSip client and there is an article in the Mitel knowledge base that covers the setup.

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

Here is the ups and downs that I found with Iphone and sip clients that may help you before you dive right in , sell your customer sip licenses and figure this out on your own.

Unless the phone is an iphone4 the feature is pretty much useless in my opinion. Keep in mind apple didnt incorporate multitasking into their platform until this model so if you have a pre iphone4 model, you will need to launch the sip client and keep it open if you want to receive calls. The minute they press the back or home button on those phones, the client unregisters.

cknipe agree. It does however give you a means of cheap off internet telephone calls if you have a MBG with it. I use it in a coffee shop just for a quick call now and then so I don't have to worry about the lack of multitasking.

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

I really wish I'd had this installed when I got stuck out of the US for a couple of days this year. My cell provider hit me with a couple hundred bucks in International Roaming charges. This little app would have saved me a bunch of cash.

I would just like to clarify, contrary to what cknipe said, that multitasking is in fact available on the iphone 3GS with the latest iOS update (4.1). I have been using a SIP iphone app called media5 VOIP with the mitel 3300 MCD4 and an iphone 3GS for a few months now with great results! I have even tested the app with the newest ipod touch and it works flawlessly. You can even get multitasking to function on older iphones like the 3G if you're willing and able to jailbreak your iphone.

I've tried a few others as well, but I find the call quality to be best with media5 over wifi.

How do you get multi tasking to work on the iphone4? I have the iSip phone and works great as long as your in the app, as soon as you come out and dial the sip phone it says out of service

Have you updated to the latest version of iSip, or is this an older version of the app you download some time ago? Apple released multitasking ability several months ago but app developers were forced to add the function to their apps for multitasking to work.

I just did a search for iSIP in the itunes store and it's now listed as "iSip - Supporting IOS4". This update will allow multitasking.

i have that release, just downloaded and installed. still doesn't work when not in the client

In that case I would guess there is some sort of problem with that app. As mentioned above, I am using the media5 voip app (also available in the itunes store) and the application works flawlessly - including multitasking.

Just as a suggestion, media5 offers a free lite version of the app that is limited to 1 minute calls. You may want to give this version a try as it won't cost you anything, but you'll be able to verify that the SIP and background processing will both work before you decide to purchase (full version is $8, I believe).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back