Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP500v2 HTTP file server versus 3rd Party HTTP file server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmicsniper

Programmer
Jun 1, 2005
US
thread940-1605448

Hi gang,
Avaya H.323 IP Telephone Installation doc dated 3/2011 indicate the IP500v2 with memory card acts as an HTTP file server for up to 50 IP phones. Is this simultaneous connections? Is this setting satisfactory for very large deployments of sets [270+?] or is a 3rd party HTTP file server necessary - when ALL sets are trying to obtain files (i.e. after an upgrade where newer files are present)?

Past recommendations from Avaya used to be "use a 3rd-party file server" whenever large deployments of IP sets were installed. Is this no longer the case? I'm assuming using Manager is NOT recommended as docs mention a 5 set limit (LOL).

Thanks,
Cosmicsniper

Up to 50 sets you are comfortable with the IPO as DHCP server, File Server and Backup server. I have a site with more than that. I have another site with about 40 9608 and IPO is serving them.
But for an update, just change the file server to the manager PC. Switch back when finish.
For larger installs, or if you know it will grow soon, just use a Windows server for this.
I like it when IPO is doing everything. Or maybe I must say, I like it to be independent from the IT.

BTW, I had a ticked for this question. The answer is a bit fluffy. The problem is not the amount of lease entrys in the DHCP table. Its also not with serving files to 100 phones. But it is a problem to answer a lot of requests at the same time. And of course sending the same large file to 100 phones at the same time. Problematic is when updating and after a power outage, but then some phones will time out and restart again a bit later.

For 270+ sets i would use a 3th party file server.
It will be much more stable.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I have to agree with tlpeter

An external file server is the way to go#
using the ipo was only really intended fro small sites where you may not expect the IT to be up to the additional configuration.

Adding a web server is not that difficult, IIS (uggh) and Apache are both freely available on Windoze or a linux distro is capable of all the necessary functions all without any licensing issues.

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

I would not use the IIS, it is a space ship :)

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

If the IPO is busy with say 40 - 60 calls on the go forget it, there just isn't enough resources to do 1 phone upgrade!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

I like IP_Tel from avaya. it is easy to install and manage.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

I recommend hfs.exe.

Super simple.
Single exe download (no installer).
Point it to the Manager folder and you are done.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your time and replies!

ACS Implement IP Office

To piggy back on this question, I hooking up 9620s over a 1.5MEG MPLS I believe the phones are clogging up the pipe when they are trying to pull their HTTP info. My plan is to put a 3rd part HTTP server at each remote site and point the phones to it.

What files to I need to put in the HTTP server. (Without grabbing the whole manager file which has lots of other sites configs and backups. To be sure I get the right ones)

Thanks co much.

Amateurs practice till they can get it right. Professionals practice till they can’t get it wrong.

Have had some issues on a 412 with over 250 extension and used mv_iptel for it, but i also done a system with about 150 extension spread over 8 sites and used the max of 8 scopes on the ipo without any trouble :) IIS also works very good if you have 16XX or 96XX phones.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

If you don't let them upgrade all at once then you should be ok with only one http server on the main site if you have the 96x1 series then a separate http is a must because the file areup to 60mb in total.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

I had thought about that, just staggering the installation, but I am concerned that if they have a power outage or anything, the customer would have to do the same process over again. Hopefully the HTTP server on their local site will eliminate this problem.

Amateurs practice till they can get it right. Professionals practice till they can’t get it wrong.

TISTech1,
Are the remote sets obtaining the HTTP file server address from the customer's voice DHCP scope (opt 242) or is the IPO serving DHCP? The voice scope for that remote subnet could point to a different file server than what is at the main site.

In most file server utilities, you should be able to watch the phone request the specific files but it may be easier to just copy the Manager directory and keep it sync'd after upgrades.

The remote sites have old Sonicwalls that can't do an option 242 or 176 so right now we have just statically assigned the IP addresses so pointing them to different HTTP servers isn't a problem at all. (Not that option 242 would have caused a problem either but DHCP from the IPO would have)

I was just trying to be able to email the Zipped HTTP files and right now when I zip the whole folder it is too big to send in an email. But I have ways to get it done.

Thanks for the help!

Thats what the Network guy told me atleast ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back