Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP500v1 / v2 power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgunther

Vendor
Aug 29, 2011
US
Does anyone else have issues with IP500v1 or v2 power supplies going bad all the time. We have had 4 or 5 business's go bad over the course of the last year or 2, due to dead power supplies. Its a pain because we cannot find a power supply for these, and have to purchase a whole new chassis - and if its a v1 chassis, then do a license swap to v2. Anyone else have troubles with power supplies, and what is everyone finding??

Thanks,

Early V1 units were prone to PSU failure

V2 units & later V1 units should normally be ok

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Wouldn't say all the time =)
It happens now and then as with any other equipment.

Keep a spare 500v1, then you can change the power supply and send the broken one to get repaired.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Had one 500v1 PSU die on me last year, turned out to be the glass fuse.
Repair = 50 cents.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Yeah.. we've had quite a few V1 PSUs go pop....

It's irritating that we can't get hold of spare PSUs... we have to take a whole V1 chassis to site, swap the PSUs over, and send the spare chassis away to have a new one fitted!

You keep a backup...

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

When any one of 4 or 5 engineers, or the customer himself, may have been the last to do any programming, any backup might not be the most recent!

Changing the PSU negates any issues!

Code:
tftp -i 192.168.42.1 get "config" c:\backup\ipocurrentconfig.cfg
with a daily scheduled task will help you. You can use some variables like %date% within the file name.

Note that the windows TFTP client has to be added manually as a feature starting with Windows 7/2008 and you need firewall exceptions for inbound/outbound traffic for c:\windows\system32\tftp.exe

Have fun...

If there are 4-5 techs and a customer playing with the system -> Email them:

"Guys, can you send me the latest <system name>.cfg + <system name>.bak from your \\IP Office\Manager-folder?"

Have a cup of coffee, then compare the dates on the files you just received... Now you have the latest config.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

You don't really want to tell me that you trust the customer's techs?

I think he meant his own techs, sure hope he has some faith in his colleagues...[smile]
As for letting a customer play with the system, I've only allowed one to do so, and only from a server that I can reach.

I keep a backup of every change made to any system [thumbsup2]
Pulling up one from the first months working on IPO => 100% red face [blush]

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Yes, in a lot of cases swapping the chassis and reloading the config is no problem. I'm finding however, that from our vendor they don't have any more V1 chassis. And its kinda a pain to go through the process of swapping licenses from smart card to sd card; upgrading/or downgrading the chassis to whatever version licensed, then reloading config - when all one needs is a simple power supply swap... especially when it is for a business that needs the system back up asap!

You can buy V1s on eBay and remove the PS. They are simple to swap out. Just a few screws and a connector.

So...there's a fire in the bathroom and you really have to go?

984189-11-1404066135623.jpg

(Det brenner på dass)

You can take the PSU from a 500V2 and put it in the V1 chassis, it's a perfect fit - no modifications needed.
(This is not recommended unless you're absolutely sure about what you're doing. Your @rse is on the line if this set's of a real fire.

To replace the PSU, here's the part number: 700479645 (~ US$ 100)

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Haha! My repair company's gonna love receiving perfectly good V2 chassis with dead V1 PSUs in!

Ship them back with one of these installed instead...

images

"It just died"

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

hi

i just swap the PSU with a spare one and send the IP 500 with the broken PSU to repair center of They repair it for about 100 € i think
And its always repaired in about 2 week repair and return

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back