Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP500 error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTU789

Programmer
Jan 22, 2008
US
I have the following error on the list of errors.
"The number of channels configured on Universal PRI lines exceeds the number of licensed channels." This shows up under the "system" in the item line. The error has the red X next to it.
When I look at all the tabs under System nothing has the red X next to it. Anyone have any ideas?
This is an IP500 5.0.8. I have the atm 4 daughter card attached to a phone 2 card in slot 1. I have the PRI 1U daughter card attached to another phone 2 card in slot 2.
What's funny is in the PRI tab under Channel allocation I have it set as 23->1. When I change it to 1->23 the error goes away.
Thanks in advance,
Brian

Have you purchased the additional licences for the PRI Single Card?
It only comes configured for 8 channels. You would have to purchase (2) additional IP500 Universal PRI Additional Channels - 8 T1 Channels License: IPO LIC IP500 T1 ADD 8CH (215181)

If you want, you can also use the old style IP400 T1/PRI 24
700185200 but you then need to purchase a Legacy Carrier.

The sales guy said he ordered them. But I have a feeling he is lying. I guess I have to wait and see.
Thanks for your help.

BTU789, to get rid of the error in the Line settings in Manager in the first Tab of the PRI drop the "number of channels" down to match your card (currently 8) :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Also you can see if he's lying by looking in the licences setion, is there an additional channel licence for the PRI?

Thanks amriddle. I don't see a way to change that. there is only channel allocation and that is either 23-1 or 1-23. I tried making the first 8 channels in service and making the rest out of service. But the calls only go out on channel 8. One out of every five calls goes out and it always goes out on channel 8.
This is driving me crazy. Also, the licenses were nevwer ordered. They should be in on monday. On top of that, the DID range was given to a different company, so now I have to reprogram everything.
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks.

I found the reason for my issue. I actually found my answer in an older post.
I had the analog trunks outgoing ID the same as the PRI outgoing ID. I made
Analog ID's different and changed channels 9 through 23 to out of service.
Thanks again for all your help.

Outch, you have learned basic stuff the hard way!
You probably never forget this :)

ACSS - SME (IP Office)
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

I have a similar question so I figured I might as well add it to this post. This is my first time posting, but I have resolved multiple issues in the past through this forum.

We currently have a PRI coming into our office. We are looking at expanding our system. In doing so we were going to purchase an 8 Port PRI license.

My concerns are that I believe this company is trying to sell us something we don't need.

What I originally had planned was to purchase the an additional PRI license for IP Office. This would expand our current system to 16 lines instead of just 8. Where my concerns came in, was when the sales person told us we would need to purchase 2, of the 8 Additional licenses. He said that if we had a full PRI, that there would be issues if we didn't have a license for all the channels.

This struck me as odd, mainly because we only 8 have now and we don't have any issues. 8 are configured as 'in service' and the remaining lines are 'out of service'.

First question: Can we buy just 1 license and increase the PRI to 16 with no issues?

Second question: What type of procedure would this upgrade be. I thought it would be as simple as just adding the license to the system, and then setting lines 9-16 to 'in service'. They made it sound as if we were going to need to reconfigure every phone when adding these additional licenses. This strikes me as odd because currently all phones have access to all 'in service' PRI channels.

Can anyone shed some light on what is required to add 8 additional PRI channels to our IP Office 500.

Thanks in advance for your help.
-Brian

You are correct Brian, you can just buy one 8 port licence and then bring the other channels into service as you mentioned, also FYI you can order licences for less additional channels they don't come in just 8's :)

Where he may have been going is if you are paying for the full 24 channels from the providor but only licence 16 up on the IP office, I'm not sure why you would do that as that's just wasting money, but the system and the NTE should not try to use any channels that are not in service, I'm not 100% though as I've never tried that :)

Thanks for the speedy response, you guys are a tremendous help.

amriddle01, the system was originally setup by a friend of the company. He talked us into going down this road with the PRI and IPO 500. However all the cool features he mentioned, he never mentioned that most required additional licenses from Avaya. As a result we didn't really get exactly what we thought we were getting.

As he is no longer in the picture for assistance, and I am now solely in charge of this system, I am trying to get up to date with what we have, and all the features that may be available to us.

At this time we have fewer then 16 employees. 8 Additional licenses are in the budget, but 16 are not.

If you have fewer than 16 employees are you sure you need 16 channels? does your buisness require that everyone is on the line at the same time?

The Telcos around here will sell fractional T-1s so you need to make sure that they are delivering the same number of channels as you have programmed in the IPO or else you will get failures when calling out and rarely when people try to call in.

IPO LIC IP500 T1 ADD 2CH (215180)
IPO LIC IP500 T1 ADD 8CH (215181)

baldwindcl: It is not required that everyone be on the phone at the same time, however in the event that we were all on a phone call, and another call came in, we would need to make sure that the incoming call was not rejected. We currently have 8 employees, soon to be 9. We also have plans to expand the company further this year.

We also sometimes will use a conference bridge to connect multiple outside lines to one of our phones. This is partly the reason for looking into the addition PRI licenses.

To answer your question it is unlikely that everyone will be on a call at the same time. However, my supervisor wants to make sure no calls will be lost.

As far as the PRI T1 we have, we do currently have 24 channels that we pay for. We get a pretty good deal on the PRI and 100 DIDs. I have yet to notice any call failures. I will speak to our sales team today to find out if they experience failures or not, as they typically make about 10 times as many calls as everyone else.

never mind, the problem would be if you had more channels programed than the carrier does.

bgaideski, if you open the System status application and look at the errors section that will tell you if you have been full on your channels and if so how many times and the last time you were full :)

amriddle01:

well technically we have never been full.

i sort of didn't tell you the full story. Right now we are limited to the 4 VCM channels that came with the system. this is actually what sparked us digging deeper into the system as we have been hitting our maximum of 4 VCMs.

my interpretation of our system was that we could just buy an additional 4 VCM channels and this would eliminate the problems we have been having.

however after discussing it with my team and looking over the pricing difference, with our plans to grow the sales team in the near future. we decided to plan ahead so we wouldn't run into this issue again in 6 months. the licenses for VCMs are cheaper if purchased in larger blocks.

we have looked into purchasing 12VCM licenses and 8 PRI licenses. this will bring us up to 16 of each, and eliminate the need for any additional license purchases in the foreseeable future.

I feel i should also mention another thing I noticed that maybe someone here could shed some light on.

As I mentioned we have 8 channels licensed and all of the other ones are marked 'out of service'.

Can anyone explain why sometimes these out of service lines actually get used? I took the attached screenshot. It has been redacted, but the important information is still available.

This is a call I made from my cell phone to our main office number. Can anyone explain how this is possible?

http://www.freeimage.com/pri.jpg
Your provider sends the incommings calls "random" so they start on channel 1 then 2 and so on up the channel 30. Then they start all over again. When a channel is busy they send it the the first free channel.

So when you buy (here in the Netherlands) an ISDN 15 20 or 30 you alway need to have 30 licend channels.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

But you can try to ask your provider if they can send it always to the first channel then you would not have any issues. But you only have 8 licend channel so that 8 calls max.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back