Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP406 replacement procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJTelco

Technical User
Aug 21, 2004
US
hi Folks,

We will be receiving a warranty replacement IP406 ASAP, and I will be the lucky guy to take it to the client and put it in place of the original.

Any input on "do's and don'ts" for this task. Can it possibly be as simple as writing the config from the manager PC to the new unit, powering the old one down and swapping them?

Do the DS modules and analog trunk modules come right up like good little devices and play nice? I have a nagging nightmare about the replacement IP406 assigning new default extensions in addition the the ones we renumbered on initial installation.........

DJTelco

Make sure that you know what release you are at now and what the new 406 is. Out of the box, the control units can vary depending on your supplier.

I would make sure that you install the internal daughter and line cards into the new 406 and choose Send Config from the Advanced tab. Connect the modules after or before you do that, I don't think it is any better one way or the other. Shouldn't be a tough job at all.

Personaly I would say follow the following steps
1) make absolutly certain you have a backup of the customers cfg that cannot be accidently over writen ( move to a new location or better yet a floppy disk)
2) fit lincarde VCM etc
3) power up the 406 seperate from the customers system
4) Default the New System & upgrade//downgrade to the correct firmware
5) send the customerd cfg to the unit
6) connect to cust equip & reboot

Thanks for the input.

CO line and digital station modules external to the unit (2 16-port line modules, 1 30-port DS module, one 16-port DS module, no VCM or other internals to swap). Should be quick job, hopefully smooth.

Avaya tech still has no resolution to the odd behavior of extensions connecting back to the receptionist in intercom mode, as mentioned in another post. Already swapped out phones, moved receptionist extension to a different DS module. Now we will replace the main control unit, while waiting on Avaya, since the client now reports that parked calls are being dropped, an issue that is new as of Monday.

As the client claims to be losing business as a result of these issues with outside callers, I'm crossing my fingers for resolution before the client demands the IPO be pulled and replaced with a Magix.

Wouldn't that be a treat......

BTW... this is 2.1.24

One caution, make ultra certain you know which external module is supposed to get plugged into what expansion port on the back of the 406.... don't bank on them being screwed into the rack in the correct order :)

Peter

I just want to stress Morrack's point. Make absolute sure you have everything plug into exactly the same place on the new unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back