Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Softphone not working w/ACM 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TivoNut

IS-IT--Management
May 5, 2004
I have IP Softphone 5.24.20 and use it to control my desk phone, a 6424D+ on a Definity G3si. In the softphone config, I select "Control of Avaya Telephone (via server)". (Not telecommute or roadwarrior mode.) I've been doing this for well over a year without any problems.

Last night we upgraded the switch from 2.0 to 2.2 and now this does not work. When IP Softphone trys to login, it sits forever at the "Connecting to call server" dialog box. Note: Switching to telecommuter mode causes it to work fine, it immediately connects. So it's not passwords, connectivity, etc. But telecommuter is not what I need. I need to control my desk phone.

Doing a "list trace ras ip-stations [ext#]" shows the following error when I try to connect:

10:58:03 denial event 2041: IP RRJ-No DSP Resource endpt 10.1.1.9 data0:0x0

This would seem to indicate it's looking for a resource on a MedPro card. I don't have a MedPro card and have never needed it for this to work. My vendor is researching the issue. Anyone else have any ideas?

I have never been sucessful at using "control of avaya telephone (via server).

I always use telecommunter or road warrior. But I also, have both multiple medpros and clans. Why not drop a medpro in and use roadwarrior.

A MedPro is a faily expensive card and I can't shake loose any $$$ for this switch right now. Plus, I want to control the phone on my desk, which isn't exactly what road warrior mode is. It's been working fine for over a year, just trying to find out why the upgrade broke it.

Thanks for the response.

I just picked up some used medpros at $2,000 each. They were refurb, but a bargin if you compare the $9000 list price avaya has on them. What do you mean by control your phone? In roadwarrior mode I can do everything that I can do at my desk.

Good luck!

I can barely get $200 right now, let alone $2,000. The "control your phone" option is just that. It actually controls the 6424 sitting on my desk in my office. I use IP softphone to dial the phone then pickup the handset. Or I go into Outlook and "Call" a contact, it dials on my desk phone and I pick up the hand set. It actually controls the physical phone on my desk.

I use it in Telecommuter mode all the time at home, so I know how that and Road Warrior mode work.

My guess is that the upgrade removed this functionality. The "control your phone" piece is probably tied to Med-Pro resources now post upgrade. It is fairly obvious based on the error you recieved " 10:58:03 denial event 2041: IP RRJ-No DSP Resource endpt 10.1.1.9 data0:0x0
" that it was looking for resources now.

This would not be the first time I have seen Avaya upgrades change the way in which something works...Our Control an Avaya phone fwiw uses DSP resources...We are 3.0 so I am not sure how much help that is.

Does reinstalling the Avaya Softphone give you the same problem? I would try to remove the software than install it fresh. Maybe installing it again may pick up something that your upgrade changed?

I have the latest version of IP softphone and I had already done a reinstall. My vendor is researching with Avaya, so if I get a solutions, I'll post it here.

The only digital phone that I have been able to use that feature successfully with is a 2420. My CEO wanted the ability to go to Outlook, click on the contacts phone number and pick up his desk handset when the call was connected. It was driving me crazy because I was testing this with my 8434d phone and it would not work. I tried the 2420 and it worked out great. Good luck!

They do have a specific set of phone types this will work with...the problem is the OP says it worked before the upgrade so it didn't seem as though that could be the issue.

Here is the matrix

Avaya DCP Telephone configuration enables users to log into and control their traditional digital telephone from the Avaya IP Softphone. This capability is supported on Avaya 2400, 6400 and 8400 series phones. It also requires Avaya Communication Manager 2.0 and higher.

It includes 64xx series which he stated above is what is being used.

I truly believe based on that error code that they have changed the functionality. Hence the reason it errored to no DSP resource.

After working with and waiting on Avaya for many weeks, they have finally confirmed this is a bug that was introduced in 2.2. (Unclear if it exists in 3.0) When IP Softphone connects to the switch in "Control your phone" mode, the switch checks for a MedPro card and DSP resource. Avaya states this is not necessary since this mode does not require a MedPro. There is a patch available to fix it and they'll be installing it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back