Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Phones over Fiber ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline

Technical User
Oct 14, 2001
US
Another question I can't find the answer to:

Is there any reason that I cannot connect IP phones over ethernet switches that are connected via fiber ?

I have 2 buildings with limited copper in between. We have extra fiber pairs.

Can I connect IP station ports at the IPO to a local ethernet switch that is connected to another ethernet switch in another building via fiber ?

I understand the phones need power. Can that come from a PoE switch at the other end of the fiber ?

Or maybe there's another way to connect the buildings ?

No reason. Should work fine. Need POE at the other end or separate power supplies for the ip phones.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful"
"The lack of money is the root of all evil" [machinegun] [flip]

yes, as long as you have either a power brick(nice if you only have 2 or 3 phones) or POE switch(usually 4 or above) to supply local power to the phones.

Wow ! Super quick responses !

Thanks.

I have the exact setup which you mention, and seems to be working fine so far.
Building 1:
Server room
IPO406v2 connected to switch1

Building 2:
POE switch connected to Switch1 using fiber

I figured. But you know ... you never know for sure unless you've done it ;-)

One more stupid question if you don't mind. Does each IP phone require a physical port on the IPO control unit ?

You create an IP Extension, so if you have an IP500 you could have 270 IP phones, but then you couldnt have anymore digital phones, its based on the control unit, so the 406 a little less and the 412 more.

So, the single LAN port on the IPO 500 handles all voip traffic ?
And the VCM modules are for call control and setup ? Do they require a physical port ?

yes just 1 LAN connection. the VCM is on the inside of the unit, once again depending on your control unit. what control unit? how many IP phones?

It's going to be a new install. IP500 I imagine. An upgrade from a Legend. Not enough cable pairs between buildings and expansion has already happened. 50-60 IP phones. Main bldg with the system can stay TDM phones since all the cable pairs terminate in the same room.

as far as VCM go, at the very least i would imagin you would need a VCM16, but you could go up to a VCM32. It really depends on the amount of calling the phones are going to do, internal and external.

I'll overkill it because I think the IP phones will be in demand. Plus there will be voicemail and I understand the VCM channels are required for calls into voicemail.

Yes you need VCM's for the voicemail

The ipoffice has two parts

One part is trqadional telephony where voicemail is part of even when it is pc based
Ipphone use the other part (ip part)
To convert you need VCM channels
There are two cards, the vcm 32 and vcm 64
They come with 4 channels for free and can be upgraded with licenses

If you think you need a lot of channels then take the vcm 64 and buy some licenses
If you are short of channels you do not need to power down but just add the channels you need

I always take 70 % channels -> phones

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back