Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP phone on UCX 50 no connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atdjr123

Technical User
Mar 12, 2012
US
I have a UCX 50 w/ Gateway behind a netgear router. The system works decently w/ Norstar digital phones however the Avaya 1230 IP phone can not reach the DHCP server. Do I need to have a switch between the router and phone??? I've also looked in the router to see if I can see the phone but can not.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

Before you jump on that, I am having an Avaya expert investigate the new Unistim firmware to make sure it can be used for free. There is something new about licensing in the file structure....let's wait to hear back from his response.

****New Forum - E-Metrotel UCx****
Joseph Sus-Nortel Installer/Programmer-"JoetheUCxguy" on Youtube

Gordon.

The patent on Unistim software expired a long time ago so there's nothing Avaya can do about it!

Hey Thanks Telco.

By the way everyone, I've uploaded a video showing how to change an 11xx phone from SIP to Unistim on my youtube site (shown in the signature). No links, because I was told that wasn't allowed.

Thanks,

Joe

****New Forum - E-Metrotel UCx****
Joseph Sus-Nortel Installer/Programmer-"JoetheUCxguy" on Youtube

Hey Joe, I don't have a notepad on my PC. I'm running Vista so how would I create the cfg,notepad file???

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hey Joe, I have done all the above and I'm stuck at the user login screen where I was before we attempted the firmware upgrade. Can't figure out what the problem is. Man, this is a painful process, digital phones much easier.lol

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

You have to be careful with files if you're using Windows 7. There are hidden files that need to be changed for this to work properly.

I am emailing you files from my PC that are correct to update those 1200 series phones. The only difference is that I use a 3Com tftp server but pumpkin should work too. Also this is for Unistim version 062AC8L

Let me know if it works.

Hey Gents, I still get no activity on the pumpkin. IP address on phone is set to same as computer. 1230IP folder w/ notepad/firmware file in tftp root also. I reboot phone via and no change. I am still prompted on the avaya screen for a user id and pswd. Any ideas????

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

The IP address of the phone MUST NOT be the same as your computer. Doing so creates an IP address conflict (never a good thing).
You should use DHCP to allow your router to assign an IP address to the phone. You must enter the IP address of your computer in the Provision (Provisioning or whatever the 1230 FW uses) field.

Al, that's normal when the upgrade fails. It just reboots back into SIP mode.

This is one frustrating experience until you get everything just right. As Joe says, your set must have a different ip address from your PC. You can set a static address if you want just by going into the phone programming and setting DHCP to no. It will then allow you to put in an address, subnet mask and gateway (just make sure it's not an address already assigned by your dhcp server to another device). Then keep scrolling down until you see Provisioning (or something like that). Put your PC's ip address in there. That's where the set will go to look for any files it needs to grab. Make sure your tftp server is running and scroll through the rest of the phone's settings and let it reboot. If all is correct, you should see the set downloading the firmware.

I am not Joe - not that it would matter much. :) I just wanted to add that you must make sure that the TFTP Server software (Pumpkin) uses the folder with the configuration file and the firmware file as its TFTP root directory.

Hey telcodog, I have done all the above, dhcp is turned off, ip address is set to 192.168.1.9 subnet mask and gateway, provisioning server is set to pc ip address and tftp has files in root directory. I can say one thing and that is I'll know this phone in and out b4 it's all done. One other thing and that is I do not see the ip phone on my router at all but I can see all other equipment. PC, UCX and Gateway but no ip phone. I do get a link light though on both on router and phone. Tried pinging phone with no success.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

If you configured the phone to use a static IP address, you should be able to ping the phone. Just wondering - did you connect the network cable to the right connector on the phone? The phone has two connectors - network and PC - you must connect the cable from the router to the network one.

If you can't ping the phone, you're not going to be successful. It looks like you have everything correct......except you can't communicate with the phone. You need to sort that out first.

Yeah the cable is in the correct port if not it let's you know that it is unplugged. You're right, I should be able to ping the phone. Could be I have a defective phone which has crossed my mind a few times.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back