Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP phone on UCX 50 no connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atdjr123

Technical User
Mar 12, 2012
US
I have a UCX 50 w/ Gateway behind a netgear router. The system works decently w/ Norstar digital phones however the Avaya 1230 IP phone can not reach the DHCP server. Do I need to have a switch between the router and phone??? I've also looked in the router to see if I can see the phone but can not.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

The phone can be connected directly to a router.

Is the phone configured using DHCP or static IP address? If you use DHCP, you should see the phone in the list of DHCP clients on the router (does not matter if it actually connects to UCx or any other switch). If you assigned the phone a static IP address, the router wouldn't (logically) list it.

What is the configuration of your phone? Specifically, what did you use for DHCP, S1 IP, S1 Port, S1 Action, S2 IP, S2 Port and S2 Action?

If this is a brand new set from Avaya it will not have Unistim software in it so it won't work the way you may be used to seeing them. Avaya now sends these things out with SIP firmware only. You used to be able tootder SIP or Unistim, but no more.

I have no prior experience with voip, basically a Norstar tech so a lot of what you're asking is foreign. I looked for the phone in attached devices and did not see it. When I connect the phone to router via ethernet cable the display reads unable to reach DHCP server. How would I tell if it is a newer one? Also I am using a sip trunk that works perfectly on the digital phones.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

That phone has SIP software in it. You will need to download the latest firmware from AVaya and FTP it into the set. A real pain the ass! Thanks for nothing Avaya!

First, do you know how to go into programming mode for the set? If not, you just power it up and when the word Avaya comes up on the screen, push the soft key buttons just under the display in order from left to right. You have 1.5 seconds to do it. If you're successful, you will be prompted for the set password (we're not allowed to post passwords on this forum so you will have to look it up elsewhere). When you're in there you just scroll through the menus. You'll need to assign it an ip address and near the bottom of the list, you will see a field for a provisioning server. Put your PCs ip address in there too. Scroll through the rest of the menu and the set will reboot. Connect it and your PC to a data switch and you should then be able to ftp the new firmware into it.

You already have one. What are you plugging the set and UCx into now? Whatever network ip addressing you're using for the UCx will work. Just statically assign an address from it to your set and you should be all set.

I'm using a netgear router connected to a cable modem. I'm trying to obtain password but so far no success. Are there any rules against emailing it???

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

There are no rules about emailing stuff, but you're not allowed to post your email either LOL.

Try doing a search on here for 1240 sets. There have been a few posters who've violated the terms and posted the password.

Have a look at this thread. It might help you find what you're looking for.

thread1361-1577884

Create a new file folder in Explorer named 1230 IP Phone

Then create a new Notepad file and name it the exact file name: 1230SIP.cfg
(you have to use the "sip" in the name to trick the phone into thinking you are loading the SIP firmware.)
Copy and Paste the following text into the 1230SIP.cfg notepad file.

[FW]
DOWNLOAD_MODE FORCED
VERSION 062AC8Q
FILENAME 062AC8Q.bin
PROTOCOL TFTP

Search the following Avaya link below and find the 062AC8Q file, download and then load the 062AC8Q.bin file into the same folder:

So your folder will have 2 notepad files in it.

1230SIP.cfg
062AC8Q.bin

Then download a TFTP server, such as Pumpkin to your computer.
Set the Provisioning IP address on the phone to the address of your computer. In my case it's 192.168.1.5.
Under Options in Pumpkin, you can choose which file from your PC that you want to map the TFTP server to. Choose the Firmware file folder say from your desktop. Make sure the "Server is Running" tab is checkmarked.
Then restart the phone and once the phone boots up it will look for that File Folder from 192.168.1.5 and the file will upload to the phone.

Then you should be in business. I am actually going to go ahead and update all of my 11xx phones to the new firmware now. Fun Saturday night! lol....last night was way too filled with beer :)

Joe

Then in the same file folder, load the following firmware:

****New Forum - E-Metrotel UCx****
Joseph Sus-Nortel Installer/Programmer-"JoetheUCxguy" on Youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back