Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office Trunk to Trunk calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwhite432

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2012
US
I have a new IP Office system replacing a system that had a trunk port connected to the trunk port of a remote system. They had some sort of setup where dialing an "extension" would call out of that trunk to the remote system. It would ring the trunk port of the remote system. The two systems were from different vendors. I replaced one system with an IP Office system and I am trying to replicate that with a trunk port. I set up a short code that would be the "extension" that they dial to call out the outgoing group ID of the specific trunk port. Obviously there is no dial tone on this analog line since the remote side just plugs into a trunk port. Is there a specific way that I could set this up that would work in IP Office?

Thanks

Generally, such an arrangement would be trunk on one end to station on the other end. Without special arrangements, trunks don't provide loop current, etc, so tough to understand how this would have worked in the past - unless the carrier is adding some magic.

Mike Forrence

from you description it is very difficult to identify what was actually in place

They had some sort of setup where dialling an "extension" would call out of that trunk to the remote system.

I suspect what they actually had was an Analog extn port into which the 2nd system connected its trunk interface.

ringing that extn on system 1 would place ring voltage on system 2 which could then trat it as an incoming call
dialling out form system 2 would be treated the same as picking up a phone on system 1.

This setup used to be know as "Piggy Backing"

yu need to confirm the exact configuration of 2nd system as it is not possible to physically connect a trunk to a trunk (or an extn to an extn)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to go to an analog extension instead of a trunk port and see what that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back