Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office - Firmware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

boldweb

Programmer
Aug 6, 2008
US
Hi everyone, I have a client who needs to upgrade their IP Office from firmware version 3.1 to 4.2

I specialize in older Definity models and the larger Media Gateways and do not know how to upgrade the firmware. Any helpful hints or step by step tutorials would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen, did you donwload the software ?
There is a techbulletin where everything is explained
It is not that hard but if you fail just ask again :)

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Thank you for the assistance!

I just wanted to make sure though, will everything be able to upgrade automatically all the way from 3.1 to 4.2?

Depends on what system
It is all in the docs how to upgrade it

Not all IP Office models will upgrade due to hardware limitations. If they have 5410/20 handsets they will upgrade but need a TFTP server (Manager can do this), Least Cost Routing was replaced with ARS tables so anyhting in there will be lost. There is quite a bit of scope for issues.

ACS - IP Office Implement

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Thank you both for the prompt answers. I am downloading the Maintenance CD as we speak and will give it a shot. I will let you know if I encounter any other difficulties.

Thanks!

Stephen

Upgrade to 3.2.67 first. Then from there you can upgrade to 4.2.xx.

Be sure to check the memory first in Monitor and make sure it's large enough to handle the upgrade. It's not alwasy certain that the PCS07's or greater are equipped to handle 4.2. They usually are, but you never know. Better safe than unable to upgrade.

xjswx
how did you get that 3.2.67 out of the upgrade path for 4.2?
last time I looked it was different for different control units but that release is not mentioned anywhere.

Check the tech bulletin that comes with the software there is a chart in it that will tell you what release and control unit (or expansion) needs what work to get upgraded.

tech bulletin 97 page57 has the chart

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Sorry... Let me clarify. I made an error in versions.

I needed to upgrade a 1.4 to 3.2. Directly from Avaya, the steps were 1.4 --> 3.1.65 --> 3.2.67. This was for a 412. An old 412. The kind that won't go any higher than 3.2 due to memory limitations. I had to do this for the customer as they wanted 2 412 systems working side by side. The second one being a backup incase the main system failed completely.

Nonetheless... It worked just fine.

BTW.... Anyone else experiencing being redirected from the Avaya website to wireless.avaya.com? I cannot access the main Avaya page.

xjswx the 412 can go in one step
If Avaya told you then they are wrong !
The 406v2 needed the 3.1.65 step but could also been done with a 3.2.999 step
IT is all in the docs what system need what step

I know the newer makes of the 412 can go, but what about the earlier ones? I did a replacement on an old 412 for another customer and it wouldn't take the config file. I had to have Avaya ship me an newer 412. The one they originally sent me was a PCS06, the replacement was a PCS07. Doesn't the memory dictate what software version you can use as well as upgrading the very first models of 412 using the 1.x software?

It was a setp to 3.2 to go via 3.1.65 but that is not needed anymore.

I have never come across any memory limitations with 412's. As far as I know, all 412. have the same RAM.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Well, there are some out there. I recommend if you run across any of the older ones to check their memory. Just an experience I had.

An experience does not mean that it is the truth :)
Sometime strange things happen with an unknown reason
You probably are right you needed to do it because of something but it should not be neccessery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back