Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office 500V2 Rel.8 Voicemail Pro Server - sizing recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucegarlock

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2010
US
Hello all,

We have a new Avaya IP Office 500V2 release 8 system on the way, and I'd like to start building the system that will house the VM. We have approx. 80 extensions, and currently have a call-pilot 150, which although buggy at times, has been fine for our needs. One thing I like about the CP150, is that it is its own HW, and doesn't have the complexity of a Windows system behind it. Having a regular Windows system on a network, comes with much more risk, since it will need to be patched monthly, or as required.

What kind of strategies do people use for VM Pro installs? I'm interested in the following:

* HD Size
* HD type (nothing less than Enterprise grade drives)
* RAID-5? RAID-10? RAID-6?
* What about using SSD for the OS partition?
* Data partition: shared storage (via SAN or NAS) or DAS?
* Redundancy in general
* Run in a cluster in case one machine dies, and the other automatically takes over?

SECURITY:

* MS Security Essentials good enough?
* Obviously will need patching like any other Windows system
* FW on, except for the ports needed

I have a feeling I'm going to miss the reliable CP150. I'd like to hear what others say about running from a SSD drive, or some other kind of solid state storage. I'm more interested in reliability, than speed, just like the CP150.

Many thanks,

Bruce

if you are hung up on the windows platform them maybe you can go the uc module route, this is a linux based operating system.

acss sme acis sme acss cm 5.2.1 acss cm and cmm acss aura messaging.

Being a Linux sysAdmin, I like that idea!

Still wondering about the redundancy though. Those concerns would still apply.

What about virtualizing it?

yes it can be on a virtual server and I have been told that it can be redundant but can not comment on the last part as I have never set it up before, I am sure some of the other techs on this site have more knowledge about this set up.

If you like Linux then how about the Application Server? It can run VMPro, One-x or both. I'm not sold on the UC module.

If patching windows is an issue then do the following.
build a server, decent hardware with a backup drive and use the second LAN connection on the IPO to connect it to.
It is off the network, has no Internet connectivity and you can forge about being up to date with all the security stuff.
Because you don't spend $2000 ona big server you buy a second machine and put it on the shelf with the Vm Pro already loaded. Should your server fail you copy the files to a USB flash drive, import it into the standby server and are up and running in 10 minutes for a lot less money.
If you like you can also run 2 servers (or WinXP or better) and have vm pro in backup mode but then it will run 24/7 just like the main machine.

most small customer don't want to buy a $10k phone system and add a $2k server to it for 30 mailboxes so a decent PC will do the trick and save a lot of dough but make sure you backup the files and be ready for the day it crashes.

I have had 4 HDD fail so far and they were in the same machine because the shelf it was standing on gave way and it dropped 8 ft down on cement floor.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

Interrupt the silence only if you improve it by saying something, otherwise be quiet and everybody will be grateful.

I am hoping the second generation uc modules will be more reliable so as 1043 says an Application server may be your best bet.some pretty smart techs on this board for sure.

We apparently have a "2nd generation" card. It failed too. Just FYI. I would not go the UC module route, and most of our BP's have stopped selling them due to the issues. Garbage in, garbage out.

-Austin
ACE: Implement IP Office
qrcode.png

Thanks AACon duly noted!

I had to replace one today and I could not get it imaged to the new release so I had to do the step by step upgrade.

What a POS, I prefer a real PC, that is why I have my one-x and VmPro running on the Apps server, it also won't die on me if I pull the power on the IP500 like some UCM's did before.
yes I know you should shut it down properly but what happens when the power fails and the UPS is running empty?

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

Interrupt the silence only if you improve it by saying something, otherwise be quiet and everybody will be grateful.

I would use one of these instead of the UCM if it was up to me.

A simple mind delivers great solutions

brucegarlock, go for the Linux apps server.
Setup a second one for backup (yes it is possible)
I find the Linux apps server a rock solid sevrer while i have seen such strange issues with Windows servers.
Manageable from CLI or webinterface.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I installed VM Pro as a Virtual Machine running on an HP ML110 G7 Server. They make decent 1-Processor Quad Core Xeon servers.
The server itself was $499, but I had to buy a raid controller, more memory, the HDD & HDD caddy trays separately.
I also use the server to run other applications. Cost me: $800 ?

150 Users Centralized VM
My VM is configured as follows
Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
250GB HDD, 2GB RAM, 2 Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back