Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office 406 planned obsolescence trap? Help pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

JezG

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2011
GB
Hi-

I have an IP Office 406 V2 with 64MB Ram running f/w 4.2.11 with expsn modules incl. digital30,analog16,SO8. Out of my depth with telecoms and IPO.

I have a mix of digital and IP sets and no room for any more digital sets. I don't want to invest in any more 56xx IP sets(prices are sky high due to EOL) and can't use the 1608-I or 96XX sets with 4.2.11. I need to add 4 new extns asap.

A number of "experts" incl. my current maintainer are adamant that my base-unit can't run release 6.1(despite what I have read on here). Have been told I need to replace IPO406 with a IPO500 or CM but need a short term soluton to allow me to add newer IP sets. Maintainer has recommended upgr. to 5.0.26 but if poss I'd like to go to 6.1 as I prefer 96XXG sets. Is this officially supported by Avaya and if so does anyone know where I can find this in writing?
If it is I can't see any point moving to IPO500 or CM platform.

Cheers

Your 406 can run 6.1 but that will be the latest release.
I also advise you to go for an ip500v2
See it as an investment.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

On page 5:
IP Office Release 6.1 will be supported on the following control units:
• IP406v2 (64Mb PCS 8 and later), IP412, IP500, IP500v2

You will need to purchase a license to do this.

I'd consider spending a little more and getting a nice shiny IP500v2 7.0...

just buy some second user 56xx handsets off ebay, then think about your hardware later.

there would be no advantage for you to run 6.1 and spend any more money on it. put it towards your new IP500v2

and besides the 96xx range wont run on your box even after an upgrade to 6.1

from the KB
Please note that the 9600 phones are supported on IP Office IP500 and IP500 V2 hardware only!

ACSS - SME

I'd go with the used handset option... this solves your immediate problem relatively cheaply and requires almost no time on your side. Besides the considerable cost of upgrading (at least mega new licensing), training, testing, installation and likely new hardware, if the system is meeting your needs and can be fixed for probably less than $1000 why look for trouble. Other than the cheaper phones what shiny feature are you looking for in rel 6?

Hi-

All, tks for your advice. I couldn't find any used 56XX sets on ebay in the UK so have decided to go with an inexpensive in place upgrade to 5.0.26 and use 1608-I's. Very useful to know the 96XX wouldn't work with 6.1 on my IPO406 anyway!
Not really after any new shiny features just want to protect investment in new sets that I need.

Cheers.

Do not forget that the 1600 range is a budget range.
It will not have the same quality as the 5600 range.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back