Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP Office 10.1 VPN Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

94astro

Programmer
Jul 21, 2013
US
Hello Pros,

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

I am proposing an IP Office 10.1/VM Pro to a client with a main headquarters location and 5 small stores. The main office has about 50 phones. Each store has about 5-10 phones. I am planning to propose the IP Office at the HQ location with remote phones working over VPN at each store.

We've done remote phones with a VPN gateway router at each site before and it works fine. We have never tried the VPN function withing the 96xx phones via the 46xx files. Do you guys have experience with this type of setup? Do you find it to be reliable and would you recommend it for this scenario?

Also, we would be using a SonicWall router at the main site, but it's not on the list of certified routers. Has anyone done this using SonicWall routers?

Don't the stores already have a connection to the HQ that the phones could use?

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

VPN phones work well. With a new VPN router the first one is usually the tricky one but after that the setup is no secret any more.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Do not try to use more than 1 or 2 phone at a single site (IP Address) it will cause issues with phones already registered. Use a hardware VPN point to point and hang the IP Phone behind it as straight IP Phones. This is much more stable and a better set up.
Mike

Looks like we'll be proposing VPN routers at each site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back