Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP address stuck on 0.0.0.0, no internet or network access 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCraw

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
OK anyone who wants a challenge, here try this one.

I have a XP Pro system that yesterday stopped seeing the network. The network card usually gets its IP address from a Linksys router, but it is reading Invalid IP address, 0.0.0.0 in the Support tab under status. I tried to enter a static ip and test to see if I saw the router, but it refuses to change from 0.0.0.0. If I go under the General tab under status it is continually receiving traffic (send is at 0). When the system restarts it takes a long time (2-3 minutes) for the startup screen to appear after I long in.
I have run both AVG anti virus and Norton AV 2004. Both have found problems, both have cleaned them, and now say the system is fine (Stinger found nothing). But I still have no network access.
I have run Adaware, Spybot 1.3 and Spy Sweeper. All 3 have found and fixed problems, but I am still getting an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and I still can't change it manually. I have run WinsockFix also, but that did not help either.

That about covers my last 12 hours with this machine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

If you go to RUN > CMD and type IPCONFIG /all what do you get listed ?

Jason

The card is built into the motherboard. I added a second card and it had the same problem.

Joe

Before you physically replace the network card, remove it (in the Device Manager)and let Windows reinstall it.

This MAY help.

dhcp enable----Yes
auto config enable----Yes

Ip address -- 0.0.0.0
Subnet mask -- 0.0.0.0
default gateway -- (it is blank)
DHCP server -- 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers -- 167.206.3.146
NetBios over TCPIP----Disabled

Sorry, you went past my suggestion before I posted.

Looks like it is NOT a network problem.

The long startup would indicate that something is running that you don't know about.

Have you gone through the Task Manager - MSconfig - Services route to see what is running?

Jim,

I uninstalled the network card from device manager and let XP reinstall it on the reboot. I still have the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

Joe

What does the CPU usage look like? Unplug the network cable while diagnosing it too... Can you ping 127.0.0.1 ?
What message does it give you?

Mark

Jim,

Everything that is running is Microsoft or I can recognize. The only two that I did not know I turned off. It did not help so I turned them back on.

Joe

Mark,

CPU usage is not high 1-4% with a periodic spike to 25-30. I don't see a diffence with the cable in or out.

Yes, it can pin 127.0.0.1.
4 packets sent, 0 Lost

Bill,

I have already ran WinSockFix and the problem still exists.
I will check the other 2 links, but I feel it is more than a configuration problem.
Doesn't the receive traffic point to something using the network card?

Joe

Replace the NIC.
To directly answer your question, the traffic statistics are not capurtured by XP, there is a reporting mechanism to WMI under XP, which has often meant nothing. If the driver is not fully comformant with WMI expextations you get junk reporting or nothing. Microsoft specified how it should be, how it works in practice is a different issue. See, for example,
I would in your shoes replace the NIC.

Advise how this sorts out. Bill

I am going to pick up a new card now and I will disable the motherboard card. I will get back with results.

Joe

Didn't you already try another card?

""The card is built into the motherboard. I added a second card and it had the same problem.""

jimpletcher,

I think he did a disable/re-enable sequence. I understand where you are coming from on this problem.

JoeCraw,

. your cable plant needs to be investigated seriously. The issue is that your NIC cannot pull a valid DHCP address;

. cable first.

. Check this issue that I face occasionally: you removed an AV program:
. Make sure that your NIC settings are not manually set to a specific speed/duplex setting. Set this to "Auto".

OK.

When I first encountered the problem I installed a 2nd card and then uninstall it. As per Jim's suggestion I uninstalled the motherboard card and reinstalled it with no success. Now, as per Bill's suggestion, I uninstalled the on board 3com and disabled it in the bios. Then I installed a PCI Linksys. This also has had no success. I know the cable is good. It is the 2nd one I have tried and this one I pull out of my laptop and plugged into the bad system. Remember, not only can neither card pull a valid address, but if I try to assign a static address, the system ignores it and still says 0.0.0.0

I will now read the norton link you sent.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

I read the Norton link and I don't have that problem in my registry. It looks like that was an older Norton issue when XP just came out. I uninstalled Norton 2004.

I guess I am back to square one.

Thanks again.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

Besides Winfix, options to repair connections can be found on the LAN Status/ Support tab and in many anti virus Email scanning software Setup or Preferences.

Have you let the "Network Diagnostics" from Help and Support scan your system to see if that gives you any other clues?

Is there any difference if you try things via "Safe Mode with Networking" option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back