Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP address stuck on 0.0.0.0, no internet or network access 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCraw

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
OK anyone who wants a challenge, here try this one.

I have a XP Pro system that yesterday stopped seeing the network. The network card usually gets its IP address from a Linksys router, but it is reading Invalid IP address, 0.0.0.0 in the Support tab under status. I tried to enter a static ip and test to see if I saw the router, but it refuses to change from 0.0.0.0. If I go under the General tab under status it is continually receiving traffic (send is at 0). When the system restarts it takes a long time (2-3 minutes) for the startup screen to appear after I long in.
I have run both AVG anti virus and Norton AV 2004. Both have found problems, both have cleaned them, and now say the system is fine (Stinger found nothing). But I still have no network access.
I have run Adaware, Spybot 1.3 and Spy Sweeper. All 3 have found and fixed problems, but I am still getting an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and I still can't change it manually. I have run WinsockFix also, but that did not help either.

That about covers my last 12 hours with this machine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

This is ONLY a question!!!!
It is definitely not a suggestion.

Bill, could he force an IP by editing the registry?

Netsh.exe is easier, but yes a static IP could be forced by a registry change. In pre-XP days, both static and dynamic IPs could be handled with registry changes.

For Win2k/XP I strongly prefer using Netsh.exe, but a static IP is possible with a registry edit:

JoeCraw,

This will fix the issue, I am just sorry nothing short of this has done the job:
You will not lose data, or installed applications, but will lose critical service packs and hotfixes. Plan on spending some time with your (hopefully now working) internet connection to update the machine.

Bill,

I thought it would come to something extreme, and that is better than reformatting. I will try it sometime this weekend if I find the time. If not, please remember to check this thread on tuesday if I have any more problems. What do you think caused this?
Thanks for all your help.

Joe

have you tried rebooting it into safe mode with networking
does a repair of the IP give a 169.254.x.x ?

ermm
i dont know how it can get dhcp server settings and dns setting if it cant see the router unless they are staticly set

dhcp enable----Yes
auto config enable----Yes

Ip address -- 0.0.0.0
Subnet mask -- 0.0.0.0
default gateway -- (it is blank)
DHCP server -- 192.168.1.1 <---?
DNS Servers -- 167.206.3.146 <---?
167.206.3.212 <---?
167.206.3.147 <---?
NetBios over TCPIP----Disabled

have you reset your routers IP address ?
and is the dhcp&dns server setting static ? look in the alternate configuration tab of your NIC for static settings

One thing that has not been checked is that the DHCP scope on the Linksys is large enough to allow another entry. The default is 100 DHCP addresses, but is easily changed.

Since he's unable to assign a static IP, the Linksys should be out of the equation.

JimPletcher,

If the linksys has exhausted its DHCP scope, it will not issue a new DHCP IP. It is decidedly not out of the equation.

JimPletcher,

I apologize, I misread your comment. I agree with you.

Thanks, - I could have used that myself earler this week.

Looks like it might be worth a try for Joe, followed by another round of WinsockFix.

OK, I tried the last part of Microsfot KB #811259 and that did not fix the problem. I am now in the middle of attempting the repair re-install outlined in KB #315341. I will get back to you with results.

Joe

Sorry, the last post was done under another co-workers sign in.

I did the re-install outlined in KB #315341 and that has fixed the problem!

I am in the process of reinstalling all of XPs patches. Which include service pack 1 and 17 additional critical updates.

Thanks to everyone who helped, especially Bill and Jim.

I wish I would have done this step earlier. It would have saved me a long weekend of wondering how I was going to fix it. I thought I was going to have to format and reinstall everything. This was a much better solution even though it will probably end up taking me four hours to get it up to speed. After 2-1/2 days of no success, this seems like a small price to pay.

Thanks again,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back