Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Invoke shortcode from an incoming SIP Invite

Status
Not open for further replies.

uunger

Technical User
May 2, 2011
MD
Hi Folks,

we want to invoke a shortcode (e.g. *84*N*) from an incoming SIP Invite over a SIP trunk.
The invite comes in but it does not trigger the shortcode, it rejects, telling that there is no User with that number (*84*N*), which is true ;-).
Any idea to solve that task?

Many thanks, Ulf

How are you expecting the "N" to populate? If you have VMPro, you could likely make this work. Without VMPro, it may be a chore.

Hi mforrence,

actually, I want to set the MWI of a Station.
Lets say, I want to turn on the MWI of Station 210.

The shortcode is: *84*N*
The feature is "Send Message" (well, translated from german ;-)
The tel Nr. is N”; Msgs=1”

That works, if I dial *84*210* from a users telefone.
Now, we want to invoke that shortcode from a SIP trunk. The INVITE is like *84*210*@192.168.25.200 (IPO`s address).

TX, Ulf

The system will not match shortcodes against INVITE, only users, groups and if a *** URI is created Incoming call route, you will need to use Incoming Call route to achieve this :)

Hi amriddle01,

I did not really get it what you mean by "if a *** URI is created Incoming call route".
I^ve inserted a * in the SIP URI Tab in local URI, Contact and Name to force Routing of invoming SIP Invites to the Incoming call route table.
There I`ve set all inbound calls to route to a shortcode, which should light a MWI on a Station.
What the trace tells me, is that the Routing table is not used at all.

What did I do wrong? Or is this just not possible?

TX, Ulf

Hi Ulf,

Did you ever try to use trunk short codes on your SIP trunk? Don't know if it could work but I would give it a try...

Perhaps you could try something like 999xxx/SendMessage/N"; Msgs=1" to switch MWI on and 998xxx/SendMessage/N"; Msgs=0"

Or isn't it possible to use trunk short codes on SIP trunks?

Regards or 'beste Grüße' Florian

Hi Florian,

unfortunately it is not possible to have shortcodes in a SIP Trunk.

Still having the Problem.

Viele Grüsse, Ulf

Do you have VMPro? You MAY be able to have SIP trip an event that uses a post-dial to dial your shortcode.

not related to the solution but what is the reason behind this problem
why are you trying to get an inbound call to light the MWI & what purpose does it serve (we may be able to suggest an alternative way to achieve a similar result)

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Hi guys,

thanks for all the help.
Finally, I deleted the SIP Trunk, set the IPO out of power, administered the trunk again and hey: it worked (triggering the shortcode with an invite and the MWI went on).
@ IPGuru: the customer had a 3rd Party Voicemail System. We tried to send a NOTIFY from that VM System to IPO, but IPO says Method not allowed. Therefore the Workaround with the shortcode.

Many thanks and take care,

Ulf

Other third party voicemail systems use short codes to switch MWI too.

Avaya (Tenovis) uses them to connect FOIS to IPO as voicemail system. The only thing I'm not sure is if FOIS uses SIP or H323 trunks for voicemail services. FOIS needs SIP and H323 but I don't know which one is used for voicemail and which one is used for room status.

@Ulf
Try to have a look at FOIS docs. If you need some please contact me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back