Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inventory Warehouse Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrism1

MIS
Sep 9, 2002
US

v7.6

We have been looking into ways to expedite the posting of the many warehouse transfers we process. We have timing lags between when the transfer is issued, when the inventory leaves the orginating location, and when it is finally received at the destination location. We are looking for a correct stock status at any of these three phases.

Has anybody tackled this before?

Thanks

Why not use a 3rd location as an "in transit" location between the two. It would add another step but would allow you to know that the inventory is in transit and then when it's received at the other location, you would do another transfer to take it out of the "in transit" location into the receiving location.

Kevin Scheeler

Kevin Scheeler

Thanks Kevin

Yes, it seems to be boiling down to two approaches.

A 3rd location. One kicker is that logistics would like to see the fact that a particular destination location has 'in transit' inventory. We could accomplish this with an 'in transit' location for every warehouse (over 20 of them).

The other approach is to use OE. Create an order for an 'in transit' customer with ship to's for each warehouse. Inventory would show as allocated at the origin location. We would probably use Crystal reports to come up with 'in transit' reporting. When the destination receives the inventory book the inventory transfer transaction and delete the order.

If you use the OE approach, remember that any shipment from an OE order will create Cost of Goods Sold entries in your GL (provided that the "Post Cost of Goods Sold" flag in OE setup is checked).

This may not be a desireable entry. The debits and credits will be controlled by the material cost type/location record associated with the item shipped. This will create the COGS entry even if the price is zero.

Also, the quantities sold as maintained in the IMINVLOC will be inflated, and in the OESLSHST as well provided that you post to Sales History.

All in all not pretty.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

I suggest you explore 7.6.300 since peak best oe is now "incorporated" into macola, though I haven't road tested to see if all features all truly available. Anyway, they do have a transfer orders function which works pretty well. And it was designed to deal with internal transfers from warehouse to warehoue.

Peggy,

Where is this located? I cannot seem to find it.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Sorry I've not contributed lately, too busy. Sigh. If memory serves me, it is an order type in OE enter orders. If that is not the case with 7.6.300, let me know & I will verify what is in Peak Best OE that is not available in 7.6.300 since Peak had great stuff they added to generic macola.

Nope its not there.

I don't think all of Peak's Best of OE made it. I know Credit Card Processing, Mass price change utilities and whole order pricing did, but I think thats all.

Another Choice:

We had a modification done for us that allows us to "ship" in OE and "receive" in PO using the OE number as the PO number the same way that the OE to PO generation function works. Costs are transferred plus freight can be added. Now inventory can be correct without the need to use a temporary location. The item is "traceable" through normal OE/PO views and is handled the same way as each of those functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back