Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interview 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpollack

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2005
US
I just had an interview this afternoon that went well. The I.T. Director wants to see my MS transcript to verify the certifications that I have obtained. The problem here is that on my resume I only listed 70-270, 70-290, and A+. However, I have an MCSE in NT 4.0. I didn’t include it on my resume; because I feel it is obsolete and does not pertain to the environment which is Windows 2000/2003, and XP. Also, the vast majority of my work experience is not in NT. Does anyone think the IT Director may look at this as a negative? This was the second interview and it is down to me and another person. Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks Everyone,
John

If your interviewer brings up the issue and asks why you did not mention your NT certification, just tell her/him what you just told us: "I didn’t include it on my résumé because I feel it is obsolete and does not pertain to the Windows 2000/2003, and XP environments. Also, the vast majority of my work experience is not in NT."

They should respect your desire not to over-inflate your résumé.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

I think you are right and I didn't want my resume to be blaoted with stuff that doesn't matter to the position.

I'd agree. Actually having less than you claimed would hurt, but not having more.

I put my degree on resumes, but omit my high school.

I am like you with high school and college. Even though my degree is not IT related I think it gives me an edge.

That is correct, JP...having a degree in Basket Weaving is superior to no degree. It shows that you were able to endure and complete a program of some duration. Someone without a degree must compensate for that deficiency.

[santa]Mufasa

I guess I overreacted a bit. It is good hear that I should be in good shape.

SantaMufasa said:
Someone without a degree must compensate for that deficiency.

Careful there. Someone without a 2 or 4 year degree is not deficient if they have 2 or 4 years of industry experience in place of that. I know MANY people without college degrees that make more than their graduate counterparts because they have more experience.

That's why many job postings mention college or equal experience.

Having previously worked for one of the largest IT staffing companies (as internal IT support), I've seen many people with experience get placed over those with degrees. Even when everything else matched up.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Sniper said:
Someone without a 2 or 4 year degree is not deficient if they have 2 or 4 years of industry experience in place of that.
Ummm...that's what I call "compensating for that deficiency."

Personally, I have no degree...not even an Associate degree. But I have been authoring in technical journals, lecturing at high levels, and managing organisations, while earning more than my degreed counterparts since the early days of my career. What I have done, I believe, has compensated for my not having a degree.

Frankly, in 35 years of professional experience, I have not been deprived of any position for lack of a degree. But I also count myself as fortunate in this regard.

[santa]Mufasa

Me too. I don't have a degree, either. And friends of mine that do the same thing, and have degrees, can't touch what I make. And that's not ego talking. It's just fact.

Kinda funny, though, when friends of mine will start spewing the "benefit" of a college degree. Like my attorney friends, or another that's a doctor.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

I, personally, would never downgrade someone for having a college degree of some sort...if nothing else, it tells me that they know how to follow (and survive) a discipline and regimen for a non-trivial period of time.

But, beyond having a degree, I as an interviewer, must perform my due diligence to confirm that the candidate possesses the skills and talents necessary to properly execute the reponsibilities of the position for which s/he is interviewing, regardless of degree.

[santa]Mufasa

Yes, JP, Congrats! (I didn't see your announcement before posting my previous reply.[smile])

[santa]Mufasa

Way to go!

[hippy]

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Franky anyone who continues in the IT industry must remain a lifetime student. So it's like college revisited.

For me, I have to read 5-10 books a year, if not more, as well as technical white papers, tutorials, etc to "keep up". That's akin to being a permanent part-time student.

I wish there were a way for non-degreed people to obtain some type of industry standard IT degree by passing tests. Certifications in some respects take care of that, but most certifications don't carry a lot of weight.

IT4EVR said:
I wish there were a way for non-degreed people to obtain some type of industry standard IT degree by passing tests.
Actually, there are several reputable institutions that offer compendium degrees which graduates receive for their professional/occupational accomplishments.

[santa]Mufasa

Dave - care to mention which ones?

I agree with IT4EVR - I read WAY too much technical info. The amount of research and OTJ training, as well as late nights in the underground lair certainly add up to as much/more than what a student covers. It's a never-ending scenario.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

When I did hiring (of programmers/software developers), I did not place emphasis on a degree. A degree was a plus. I guess all other things being equal, a degree would push the balance.

A good friend of mine did 2+ years at an Engineering school, but had to drop out to work due to family (unexpected little one). He's an awesome developer, but he often complains to me that many companies screen out those without degrees in HR, so they never get to the hiring manager. That's a shame.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back