Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet mail service keeps stopping 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesti

MIS
Dec 8, 2000
US
Came back from the weekend and the IMS keeps crashing. Event ID 7031:

The Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service service terminated unexpectedly.

Tried deleting everything in the 'in' and 'out' folders and queue.dat and that is not the problem. Going to build a replacement server and copy the edb's over. I will also run a parallel eseutil on a copy of them to see if that fixes this server.

We have norton for exchange running but that has never been a problem. No filesystem antivirus is running.

Any ideas? Thanks

Even when the service starts, port 25 shows as listening in netstat -an but refuses connections, then crashes again.

look in the event viewer and see what message it gives you if any.

that wsa in my post:

Event ID 7031:

The Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service service terminated unexpectedly.

Apply latest service patch again. Then delete IMS and add back a new IMS and configure just the same.

Applied SP4 for exchange, no change. Deleted and reinstalled IMS and I thought I configured it the same but when I go to configure Routing tab I get the following message:
------------------------
Your configuration may not be complete. You will not receive Internet messages unless you configure other SMTP hosts to deliver to this Internet Mail Service.

You can use Domain Name System (DNS) or Host tables to deliver mail to this Internet Mail Service. For more information, see the Microsoft Exchange Server Operations Guide or Getting Started Guide.
-------------------------
This happens when I select Reroute incoming SMTP mail, and check the first two boxes in the Routing Restrictions dialog (Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate, hosts and clients with these ip addresses).

I'm going to RTFM but any insight here is greatly appreciated as I have never seen this message before and googling the first sentence had no hits. Thanks.

Read numerous other posts of people having the same problem. My executable (MSEXCIMC) and dll (Imcmsg) are version 5.5.2657.72 and I added the registry entry (SuppressNDROptions) and set it to 100. Will let you know if things work out.

I added the registry entry (SuppressNDROptions) and set it to 100. Will let you know if things work out."

This hasn't worked for me, still having the problem. How goes it for you. My MSEXCIMC file is version 5.5.2626.59

So far so good this morning when I came in. Hope the good luck continues. Although I have had some users complain to me today that email clients sent them two days ago are just now showing up in their inbox.

The version of MSEXCIMC files that I received from Microsoft was 5.5.2658.3 Call Microsoft and have them send you that version and then verify the SuppressNDROptions registry settinga again.

billcmh, did you restart IMC? I'm still getting mail and it has been overnight.

glad to hear it. what exactly solved your problem, the file version, the registry key or both?

Right after I posted that message, it crashed again and refused to restart the service. I tried for a couple of hours. In another thread someone thought it was Code Red going around again. I ran the clean up utility, ran the code red patch and it started up again. Up for 2 hours now.

We were having the same problem with our email servers. There is a MS KB article, 884874, that describes our problem to a tee.

Called MS and they sent me the patch within a couple minutes. I applied the patch and our IMS seems to be working fine now.

billcmh, my server crashed last week also. I applied the patch from 884874 and it has been running all weekend. Wanted to wait to post to see if that seems to have fixed it and it has...for now :)

Gentlemen- I too came back from the holidays to find bunches of 7031 errors crashing my IMS on my exchange 5.5 server. I'd been googling every couple of days looking for anything on this and the advice from Yesti seems to have kept this event away for about 15 hours so far. Thanks so much.

spoke too soon- the spooled patch plus the registry entry haven't completely protected me. I guess I'll need Microsoft's paid for patch for the registry entry to work fully

ebimprov, 884874 is a free patch, just call them.

I called Microsoft and have just installed the patch. I already had the registry key for NO DNR So I will See

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back