Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet mail service keeps stopping 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesti

MIS
Dec 8, 2000
US
Came back from the weekend and the IMS keeps crashing. Event ID 7031:

The Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service service terminated unexpectedly.

Tried deleting everything in the 'in' and 'out' folders and queue.dat and that is not the problem. Going to build a replacement server and copy the edb's over. I will also run a parallel eseutil on a copy of them to see if that fixes this server.

We have norton for exchange running but that has never been a problem. No filesystem antivirus is running.

Any ideas? Thanks

so i do not have to call MS , can someone just email this fix to me, and then i can host it for other people to download.

thanks

Hi guys

I have the same problem. I called Microsoft to provide me with the hotfix kb884874, but they stopped support and sending hotfixes for exchange 5.5 since the 31.12.04.

Can someone email this fix to me?

Thanks

I installed the patch and the NDR. the <> seem to be stuck in the OUTgoing Queue wall with undeliverable. It seems to be stable. I hope the patch for IMS is version 5.5.2658.28

Curiously it also says Service Pack 5

Interesting thought.

I am not optomistic

FYE there were 67 undeliverables stuck in cache

It's not really working

got the 884874 hotfix- took MS support a couple of hours to agree that was what I needed. wish me luck.

That is the patch I have applied I had no problem getting it from microsoft call the medium size buisness number and say you have the IMC problem as described in hotfix 884874.

I also stated that this is delaying my exchange 2003 migration which is enterprise based. It seems strange that this does not occur on 2003 (Interesting)

THe server remained stable but the <> has flooded the cache with less but not taken the service down

THe SuppressNDROptions 100 (HEX) has not stopped the flooding of the incoming NDRS either.

I cant say for sure if it has resolved the problem because of the weather there was not enough employees on the network to gather a real workload for incoming and outgoing mail.

KP

From Chris->"I have the same problem. I called Microsoft to provide me with the hotfix kb884874, but they stopped support and sending hotfixes for exchange 5.5 since the 31.12.04."

I called Microsoft this week and explained the issue and they sent me the hotfix for my server just this week. 48 hours now and all still looks good.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem you all are having but always make sure that you have enough empty space on the hard drive that you're running Internet Mail Service on. Mine kept shutting down several times a day for quite a while until I found out that it was because that hard drive was low on disc space. Well I finally cleared up enough space on the drive and it never happens anymore. If you are anywhere near getting low disc space errors, usually IMS will shut down and you don't get any kind of messages about it. You just hear from your clients that they're not getting emails.

Well My IMS is up and suning for 2 days But the outgoing Queue still is polluted with <> non deliverables. I will wait and see.

KP

From Chris->"I have the same problem. I called Microsoft to provide me with the hotfix kb884874, but they stopped support and sending hotfixes for exchange 5.5 since the 31.12.04."

From billcmh->"I called Microsoft this week and explained the issue and they sent me the hotfix for my server just this week. 48 hours now and all still looks good."

I called the german support number three times but without success. They don't send hotfixes for exchange 5.5.

Getting <> in your outbound queue is not always cured with a patch. Look at read receipts to the Internet and relaying.

Have you all tested to see if you are relaying?

Also, 7031 errors are often caused by badmail problems. Anyone running Windows 2000 can run a script on the service stopping to wipe the badmail folder and start the services. There is also a proper solution to 7031 called something about badmail.

I am also experiencing this same problem. Would it be possible to get this patch from someone?

Zelandakh

Getting <> in your outbound queue is not always cured with a patch. Look at read receipts to the Internet and relaying.

Have you all tested to see if you are relaying?

Well, my IMS is no longer crashing and I was keeping the outbound queue free of <> last week, but there were thousands Monday morning and my server is crawling and this morning I'm getting thousands more shortly after clearing the queues. I'm sure I'm being used for relaying, but I have everthing turned off according to our Exchange consultant. They want to install some Trend Micro spam product.

Hello,
Our Exchange server is having a similar problem. We log 7031 errors and 4037 errors in the event viewer. We are unable to start Internet Mail Service, and when we try, it logs a 7031 error. We run Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a Windows 2000 server. We are thinking about using the eseutil to repair the program?

We just got it going using the article Q168883:

We are receiving email, but email outside our domain is not going out, we get a system administrator message saying:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: testing outgoing email
Sent: 1/24/2005 10:15 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'someone@gmail.com' on 1/24/2005 10:15 AM
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=SOMEWHERE;l=HERMES-050124161432Z-7
MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:EXCHANGE1:HERMES

I am researching this and I'll post any results.

OK, we have it working for the time, the former system administrator error message stopped after I restarted Outlook.

bilcmh - Is it possible to post the patch you received somewhere? We are having the same issues with the IMS and it has finally crashed to the point of only restarting aafter a server reboot.

Thanks,
Cameron

Package:
-----------------------------------------------------------
KB Article Number(s): 884874
Language: English
Platform: i386
Password Changes On: 01/21/2005
Next Password: ^5A)DXWyk

NOTE: Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to this hot fix location!

Thanks!

I'm not sure how long the 2nd password is good for.

My IMS keeps stopping, but I can't find any error being logged in the event viewer. The only entry regarding IMS that I found this time was:

Event 4115
The message from the spool file DWBBW1NS seems to be looping through the routing extension for the Internet Mail Service. Please check that the routing DLL is configured properly.

However, external email was delivered internally after this event was logged.

billcmh - Do you have a new password for the download of
KB Article Number(s): 884874

No, that has to come directly from MS. Well, we have been up for about 3 weeks after applying that patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back