Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting Sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
Included in this article on Images of Earth-like clouds on Mars is the following one sentence paragraph.
Meanwhile, officials say both robots are in surprisingly good health and could continue their science investigations for months more, despite nagging health problems.
Are the robots healthy or not?

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Reminds me of this morning when an intrepid reporter said "... it is not quite clear why...". Now, if we could make make that juuust a little bit clear...

Or a couple of days ago: "Peterson showed no visible emotion."

Does this mean that he did show invisible emotion?

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Peterson showed no visible emotion."
means person controling himself well but Author assumes that person is hiding something...like...emotions may be.

Show: To cause or allow to be seen; display.
Visible: Possible to see; perceptible to the eye.

"Peterson showed no emotion" would have made more sense.

Susan
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)

Thanks, Susan. That was the point I was trying to make.

Since emotions are intangible, I think "Peterson showed no signs of emotion" would have been even better.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Reminds me of an error message I got in Windows 3.1 years ago:

Windows 3.1 error said:
An undetectable error has occurred

-------------------------------------
• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

Esquared, I love that. You could almost make a Zen Koan out of it. If an error is undetectable, did it still occur?

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

I took a screen capture and printed it... but I guess I lost the paper because I haven't seen it since.

It's not much of an error that is undetectable, is it? :) It's like an undetectable flaw. How can it be a flaw if no one can detect it?

-------------------------------------
• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

The surprise is, that after a year both robots are still opererating, as they were designed to last for only three months, the health (should the condition of a machine ever be described as its state of health)of the robots is less than 100% but not so bad that they cannot continue. Makes sense to me.
For the lastest see

Steve
Be excellent to each other and Party on!

sggaunt Just remember how long the MIR kept going!
It had lots of nagging health problem all of which weren't lethal though - not even the fire that broke out...

<honest, not ironic>
Rrrussian handicrraft - less electrrronic, more scrrewdrriver: tougher, cheaper, easier to rrepair!
</honest, not ironic>
[bigcheeks]

[blue]The last voice we will hear before the world explodes will be that of an expert saying:
"This is technically impossible!" - Sir Peter Ustinov[/blue]

While it is a poorly written sentence, I would agree with sggaunt on this one.

Someone can have a bad back, rotting teeth, and glaucoma and still be considered to be in "suprisingly good health". Especially if they are 94.

I am reminded of my father who while fighting a losing battle with cancer, didn't succumb to many of the "tag-a-long" symptoms. Suprisingly, for someone about to pass on, he was in pretty good health.

~Thadeus

SQLSister, that's the best! The whole Zen thing could probably be applied to just about everything computers, too[pc3]

--------------------------------------
Code:
//Program to tick off my sister
Programming is officialy a life skill

I have no idea what MIS means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back