Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intercom Calls drop ramdonly in MICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

2809tst

Technical User
Mar 2, 2011
CA
HI Group, I run into a wired problem. It is a MICS 6.1. It has happened to reception lots of time when she was on an intercom call with other staffs, the calls dropped. Sometimes, when she calls those extensions, she hear one ring back tone and the call stops. On the screen of the reception phone, it shows Not In Service. She then tries the same extension. It will work again. This happens randomly when reception calls other extensions. They never had any problems with outside calls. I am considering replacing the power supply. Has anyone experienced problem like this? Or other than the power supply, could it be the software issue too?

Why would u want to replace power supply ...Did system crash/reboot?
Upgrade to last release and go from there

6 months until ski season starts...sadly i must resign myself to the warmer weather"this will include a normal 8-5 work day, 5 days a week"

I'm inclined to agree. Power supply has nothing to do with your issue. Software upgrade or motherboard replacement (or both) would be in order.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

Looks like a set issue to me so far, did you try replacing the phone?.
If possible software issue swap to new port.

Installing an M7208 in its place may clear up some crap too.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Has this ever happened to anyone else or is it unique to reception??? Maybe as Curly says (set or port issue) However a Not In Service or Ring Back tone might imply a little more. Swap out set and then station port and see what happens.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

I am having the exact same symptoms - it just started within the past few weeks.

Starting a few weeks ago, the receptionist says that certain extensions will display "not in service" when she dials them. Even after repeated immediate attempts the call will still not go through. After waiting a minute or so the call goes through fine. We have about 85 people in the office and no one else has complained about this. It happens to the receptionist several times per day. She is certain she's dialing the correct extensions because the display says calling XYZ - sometimes for 2 seconds before displaying the error message.

The system has been in place for 14 years. Consists of eight M0X16, and two M0X8A. The last hardware change was over a year ago, although we often make minor programming changes and extension moves/etc.

Very strange that this started happening out of the blue after 14 years of a near-flawless system.

Our system is running MICS xc 4.1. The version listed in the menu is 30ncG00 nat (whatever that means.)

Any ideas?

That means very first release software for the MICS, you are way out of date on software.
7.1 is last release.

You need to find out if those users are all on the main box or the M0X16 or both.
Feature * 0 INTERCOM VIEW will tell you the port number.
Ports 101 to 132 is main cabinet and 301 to 316 is M0X16.

This will tell if an issue with one or the other for starters.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I actually checked which ports the effected extensions are on - I just forgot to mention that!

The port numbers with the most recent problems are:
As you can see, the issue is spread across several of my M0X16's. The extensions are also spread physically across the building (not on the same punch blocks).

I'm still not sure if the extensions are actually going offline, or if the receptionist phone simply isn't able to find a "path" to the extension. Since no one else is complaining, I don't think the extensions are actually going offline.

So none on cabinet and spread out across 2 Expansion cards and all 0X16's so those are out.
My guess software or NVRAM card corruption.

Suggest to in order 1 at a time until issue resolved:

- replace reception set (just in case the digits dialed on the keypad are not sent to phone system correctly)
- upgrade software to 7.1 and NRAM to rls 2 (so that you are now up to date and supported by your local vendor)
- Reinstall system to default and program from scratch (this will almost always clear any bugs or glitches that arise from no where but not guaranteed)
- Replace cabinet in case something on the mobo is causing an issue.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I've eliminated the phone buttons because she says that the phone correctly names the person she is trying to call. But I will still try this because it's easy.

So when you say install from scratch, do you mean back it up with the FastRad and restore? I can't imagine reprogramming this system from scratch. Have you actually seen this solve issues that were otherwise unsolvable?

I'd start with curly's suggestion to replace software. Early versions of 6.1 were buggy and was fixed by release 6.1 MR. Check your exact software release in Maintenance. The MR release of 6.1 will display 30CQG05 or 30CQG10. NVRAM should be NTBB08GA-93 Rel 02, especially if a PRI is being used.

Brian Cox
Oregon Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back