Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integrating XFRX into VFP5

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfpquestion

Programmer
Mar 16, 2009
US
I need assistance with the coding that will allow me to integrate XFRX into VFP5 to create an excel worksheet with 2 tabs. We have downloaded the free version but would like to be absolutely sure that it works before purchase. Could someone assist with the code...the manual is not exact and I have had no response from the creators of XFRX and this is a rush project. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you looked at the online documentation
14.7 How to invoke the XLS output at page 33
There is example code there.

This old world keeps spinning round - It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down

I downloaded the manual, but I believe the difference is we are trying to use the evaluation version before we purchase to make sure that it works and the evaluation version does not seem to be working with the established program that we have. I will buy the XFRX but I want to know that it works correctly. I hope that I am making sense and thanks for your reply.

I assume that you ARE aware that you can indeed create an Excel file with 2 (or more) worksheets by another means.

Using Office Automation within a VFP application can enable you to do everything that you have described and would not require the purchase of anything.

As long as you can do the work manually in Excel, you can use VFP Office Automation to do the same thing.

The typical approach is to record one or more macros within Excel and then duplicate that in VFP Office Automation code.

Over the last few days I seem to be repeating myself, but here goes again...
For a good reference book on doing Excel Automation within VFP you might want to look at:
Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thanks...I have that book and am using it but was hoping for a quicker fix. But, I will probably have questions concerning office automation to make sure that it works properly. Thanks a bunch.

As you know a quicker fix is not always a better fix.

Especially if the quicker fix is not fully understandable.

Note that, while many users don't understand this, Excel makes a horrible "data table". It is good for final output "reports", but not to store live data.

Remember that there are no Records or Fields - merely columns and rows. If you have to find particular cells to write it can be a tedious (but effective) effort.

Take steps to ensure that your users are not expecting the Excel files to hold LIVE data. If they want a receptacle for data, have them use a VFP form to enter data into a VFP data table. THEN if they want an Excel output/report, give it to them.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

I'm pretty sure that XFRX (including the demo version) includes some example code that you can model your code on.

BTW, my biggest concern would be that you're working with VFP 5. I don't know whether XFRX works that far back.

Tamar

From
XFRX is available for Visual FoxPro 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 and 9.0. It contains its own report engine which is used in VFP 8.0 and earlier. In VFP 9.0, XFRX plugs into the new reporting architecture of the native report engine.
The individual output formats as well as the differences between XFRX for VFP 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0 and XFRX for VFP 9.0 are described in detail in the Developer's Guide, which can be downloaded from the Documentation page.

But it always pays to check first :)
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back