Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Ghost Image on BCM 3.7 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirchenlo

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2002
LU
Hi All,

I have a BCM System that’s not booting anymore. Now I would like to install the NORTEL Ghost Images CD (3 CD’s). In the documentation it says that I need an imaging tool as the CD1/3 is not bootable.

Does someone from you know how to get this tool? I have no idea. I couldn’t find the tool on the Nortel website, so I hope someone from you got an idea. Or eventually it is enough to use the standard Norton Ghost?

Regards

LKI

The tool you're looking for is called BIT (BCM Imaging Tool)But using Ghost is the much more easy way. Use the following command with the Ghost.exe file:

ghost -clone,MODE=load,SRC=R:\37GA_BIT.GHO,DST=1,SZEE -ntchkdsk -sure -auto

...and replace R:\37GA_BIT.GHO with the path to your ghost-image

I am having the same issue, I am just wondering where you got the Ghost.exe. I have version10 of ghost, which is way different from the last time i used ghost which was the old dos versions just being a ghost.exe.

Be very careful because I have tried to replace 2 hard drives with ghosted drives and they did not work. The ghosted drives was missing a critical file.

it works fine for me: find the ghost.exe at ftp://ftp.etkn.de/pub/bcm

These are the filesizes of the BCM 3.7 image files:
37GA_001.GHS - 681.566.406 Bytes
37GA_002.GHS - 416.943.578 Bytes
37GA_BIT.GHO - 681.562.936 Bytes

steeef, tried going to the ftp site, can you tell me what user name and pw to use. Thanks

Just some advise guys I have the tech update for the BCM 4.0 and it states that any ghosted hard drives can not be updated to BCM 4.0 unless it was completed with the official BIT tool. I do not know how accurate it is but will let you know when I have ago at updating a few.

If anyone has already updated let me know.

Marshall

I have heard the same thing. Ghost is not supported on BCM400 only the Bit Imaging Tool is fully supported. Beware.

if you're using exactly the same ghost command that BIT uses it will be no problem. But some technicians ghosted their drives without the right ghost-parameters. They are not able to upgrade to 4.0.

The right command is:

with this command you're able to upgrade to 4.0

i'm using the ghost version that comes with the BIT. It is version 8.0.0.984 (Oct 3 2003, Build=984) for DOS.

i was able to upgrade my BCM to 4.0. Even when using bigger harddrives (like 40GB instead of 20GB)

Hello Steeef,

We have Ghost 8.2. It looked as if your string was going to work. The image is placed on the HDD. But if we put it in the BCM400 and attach a screen on, it states that it misses an operating system.

If we attach the HDD via USB to our own PC's, we see a perfectly partitioned HDD, but the first partition of 22MB is called DOS and is FAT.

On a original 3.7 HDD, we see a first partition of 16MB and no system.

Any ideas?

THX, Jurgen

what is the size of the harddisk?
have you tried to completely erase all partitions on that harddisk?

The HDD's are original BCM 3.5 and 3.7 Disks, 20 GB. We didn't make de HDD's empty before cloning.

To give you the full story: We were patching two systems with the service update 2. One was an original 3.5 upgrade to 3.7 and the other was an original 3.7. Both patches didn't finish and stopped at the first reboot and most of the services disabled.

To get the BCM's running again we tried to put the image back as you mentioned. That didn't work as written above.

We have them running again with ghost32 on an BartPE disk by cloning an other HDD with 3.7.

Our wish is to be able to put back the image of the CD's of the BIT tool. I'm not sure if we can upgrade these BCM's to 4.0 this way.

Regards Jurgen

I've done 2 BCM's one 3.6 & the other 3.7 using Ghost 9 without any problems, as long as you partition the drives in a set order as listed below.

BCM Partition Information

Using Norton Ghost V9

Use Partition magic or other Partitioning software to delete all existing partitions on the hard drive. There is no need to pre partition the drive.

When restoring image, restore one at a time in the order listed below. Allocate drive letters and note primary and logical partitions. Set WINNT (I:) to active.
Select unallocated partition each time to restore image to.

e.g.

Partition Type Size MB Used MB Unused MB Status Pri/Log

WINNT NTFS 2,502.3 879.4 1,622.9 Active Primary
MAINTOS NTFS 1,004.1 257.9 746.2 None Primary
Extended 15,476.7 15,476.7 0.0 None Primary
DATA NTFS 9,452.3 651.9 8,800.3 None Logical
LOGS NTFS 2,008.1 12.0 1,996.1 None Logical
NNACTIVE NTFS 2,008.1 1680.2 327.9 None Logical
NNINACTIVE NTFS 2,008.1 4.6 2,003.5 None Logical

Make sure that “WINNT” is set to “Active”, otherwise the BCM will boot to the wrong Partition.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

Useful Nortel forum at
If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I tried to use Ghost 8.0 and 8.3 clone the BCM 3.7 image from the 3CDs, but says: 'missing operation system' on BCM but could work with any PCs. I found if using Ghost the DOS partition has to be 22MB not same as original a 15MB partition. Maybe this is reason BCM would not recognize it.
But if use BIT, you have to get a access code from Nortel, and after then is really no problem, just like Nortel HD.

Thanks guys, I'm learning......

Also I fail to make a clone from a health HD to another HD. I use Ghost to image a good BCM HD (just arrived and works OK) to a new same big HD, but still could not boot the BCM. I just want have a backup HD for that BCM. Anyone has tips to do this HD to HD as well?

Thanks guys, I'm learning......

have u used that cmd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back