Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Element Manager on windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

teltech317

Programmer
May 24, 2006
GB
I have recently had to upgrade my PC as my previous one was dying (windows 7 32 bit). I now have a 32 bit windows 10 PC but I can't install Element Manager. I have tried to install it from bcm.sipsw.com/ApplicationLauncher/, from the hard drive of our BCM50 release 6 and from a copy of the most recent version Element Manager 62.0.5. Each time the Application Launcher runs, it says it is downloading the application then when that is finished it says installation complete. I get an icon on my desktop but no files installed. When I run it from sipsw I can use Element Manager but once I close it I have to start again as it does not install.

I have sorted out Java so that shouldn't be a problem based on directions from Firebird and checked against Steve's Powerpoint presentation.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Regards

Paul

According to the log file it's installed exactly where I said it would:
2018.05.01 at 15:34:52.277 BST - Cached URL is file:/C:/Users/paulcarter/.bcm/Enforcer.jar

Are you installing 32 or 64bit Java?

Note about my issue above with 171 not working - I meant EM when trying to connect to a BCM = "Cannot Connect To Device error"

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

32 bit - this one - jre-8u25-windows-i586-iftw.

As mention previously, if I go to sipsw to download and install EM it doesn't install but it does give me EM to use for one occasion. As soon as I close it I have to go back to sipsw and and go through the process again. However, when I have EM open I can connect to our BCM50 - I don't get "cannot connect to device error".

I know what you said but it is not the question, you cannot seem to confirm (direct to the point).

The questions is do you have a .bcm folder here in this location as twice asked and that your log also states here: C:/Users/paulcarter/.bcm/ and you do not see any files in that folder?

jre-8u25 is pretty old, try 8_161 or the one Firebird mentions above.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Also 2 more things..
Does EM show up in the Programs and Features section so that you can un-install it? may list/show as Nortel BEM
Did you copy the whole folder from Win 7 by chance?

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Hi Curlycord. Thanks for persevering with this!

My apologies you have mentioned .bcm before but I didn't pick up on it. Yes, it does exist and there are files in it. The problem has been the icon on my desktop does not have a path name associated with it. Why I didn't do that before I don't know but I have checked on my laptop to see what path name is associated with it which does indeed go to the .bcm file - the same as in the log file!! The icon that has been created on my desktop can't be used as the spaces for file locations are greyed out. So I have created another icon and used the same path name and hey presto EM opens up!

Sorry for missing your earlier questions and for being so thick. Your help has been much appreciated.

Awesome!
I was a thread from giving up "outta ammo"

That's what I thought the issue was and why I needed to verify the .bcm being there....per my post above in the FAQ EM issues I had written this tid bit below the java issues:

You cannot start EM via shortcut

Create a new shorcut
Use: C:\Users\AccountName\.bcm\proxy_batch_exec.bat "C:\Users\AccountName\.bcm\BEM\bin" run.bat
or
C:\Users\AccountName\.bcm\proxy_batch_exec.bat "C:\Users\AccountName\.bcm\BEM\bin" run.bat

or navigate to
Win 7
C:/Users/*YOURLOGIN*/VirtualStore/ProgramFiles/BusinessElementManager/

Win 10
C:\Users\AccountName\.bcm\BEM\bin and create shortcut from run.bat (Windows Batch File)

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

I'm in the process of installing a computer with Windows 10 64 bit and I'll write up a guide on the steps used to get it to work correctly. It will take me a few days to do.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back