Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Element Manager on windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

teltech317

Programmer
May 24, 2006
GB
I have recently had to upgrade my PC as my previous one was dying (windows 7 32 bit). I now have a 32 bit windows 10 PC but I can't install Element Manager. I have tried to install it from bcm.sipsw.com/ApplicationLauncher/, from the hard drive of our BCM50 release 6 and from a copy of the most recent version Element Manager 62.0.5. Each time the Application Launcher runs, it says it is downloading the application then when that is finished it says installation complete. I get an icon on my desktop but no files installed. When I run it from sipsw I can use Element Manager but once I close it I have to start again as it does not install.

I have sorted out Java so that shouldn't be a problem based on directions from Firebird and checked against Steve's Powerpoint presentation.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Regards

Paul

So you are saying it did not create a folder and no files here?: C:\Users\YourName\.BCM
Do you run the shortcut but nothing happens? what exactly is your symptom?

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Yes, I have a shortcut but no files. If you right click on icon and click on 'open file location' nothing is found - no folder or files - you just get the message 'windows can't find target'. I have a Nortel folder containing LANCTE stuff and an Avaya folder with Personal Call Manager in it but nothing else!

The shortcut may have a blank target but can you confirm per above that there are indeed no files in C:\Users\YourName\.BCMYour .bcm folder maybe installed somewhere else? maybe since you were Win7 look in C:/Users/*YOURLOGIN*/VirtualStore/ProgramFiles/BusinessElementManager/

Look in the FAQ section under heading of Business Element Manager (just below list of patches) for more info as well how to backup EM.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Hi. When I double click the EM link nothing happens. There are no files or folders named BCM in program files or elsewhere. I have done a search and nothing comes up apart from PCM. I am sure it is not installing. Somehow it works if I download it from sipsw just for a single session but once closed it needs to be downloaded again.

I don't know if this is relevant but I can only see the files on my hard drive or the files in sipsw when using Internet Explorer. Firefox and Edge don't work.

Not sure which IE you are using but try IE 11, search IE on your taskbar search box and see if that helps.
Browsers are discontinuing support for java....chrome also will not work but not sure about Opera yet.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Yes, I'm using IE 11. This is very strange and really don't understand it. I've tried right clicking the copy of EM on my PC and installing it with administrator right but that doesn't make any difference. I've also tried compatibility mode as I know it works in W7 but that didn't work either, nor did compatibility mode with XP!

i'm running out of ideas!!

Does it ask you where to save/install EM? use C:\Users\YourName\ and it will put the .bcm folder there.

Does it ask about a current installation when installing?
When you say upgraded to win 10 did you mean an actual upgrade or a fresh install? if upgrade then maybe you have it still installed in C:/Users/*YOURLOGIN*/VirtualStore/ProgramFiles/ or maybe C:/

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Sorry, it is a fresh install of windows 10 onto a new hard drive.

I am beginning to wonder whether perhaps EM is not compatible with W10. I can't get PCM to work either. I thought I had heard that EM does work with W10 32 bit but perhaps I have got that wrong.

Did you try this ?
Change setup.exe in XP compatibility Mode
Start setup.exe as Administrator
Should work

I am beginning to wonder whether perhaps EM is not compatible with W10"
I just recalled others with 32 bit Win 10 have same issues.
I am on 64 BIT with Java 8_161 32 BIT and EM works

For some reason we did not talk about your java and it's version which is what?
Try Java 32 BIT and not 64 BIT.

Either way continue to stick with IE 11 for viewing BCM or Callpilot pages abut also for installing form BCM's launcher or online bcm.sipsw.com/ApplicationLauncher/

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

I'm rebuilding a computer today using Windows 10 64 bit. Once I had installed the Operating system, I loaded Java version 8 issue 151 64 bit. Then I added as an exception.

From Windows Edge explorer, add in the link of and then switch to the Windows explorer window by selecting the option on the right hand side by clicking on the box to open it up. Once there, check that the link is still there and you should get the BCM Element Manager page to open up with the Java installation circle and box that needs to be ticked to enable you to get to the software which takes a few seconds to load up.

It's then a case of installing the various applications, starting off with the Element Manager 62.0.5.

Once you have installed EM, you will need to follow the attached guide to modify the java.security file.

The guide basically tells you to remove the "MD5" prompts and the latest version of Java requires another area to remove it.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Yes, I know in 8_161 there is now two references to md5 instead of one but still one reference to MD5withRSA.

On my Win10-64bit I have 32 bit Java versions since I have no use for Java 64.

I tried upgrading to 8_171 but I could not get it to work using the cheat so I re-installed 8_161.
The 171 had wiped out the 161 files I think because I accidentally used the online install instead of the full downloaded file.

So I actually have 2 X 32 bits java versions, 161 (w/modified security file) and 171 both installed and enabled.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

I've been away for the weekend so just catching up on posts.

Thanks for your post AvayaHE. I did try it in XP compatibility mode but no joy. The BCM Application Launcher splash screen appears followed by the Application Launcher Point screen where is loads then validates. It goes through all of that then finishes with 'installation is now complete'. But it isn't! No installation has taken place - there is no folder found when right-clicking the shortcut and nothing in either the Avaya or Nortel folders.

I'm using 8.171 and have done the tweak on it to remove occurrences of MD5. It does work if I open EM from sipsw.com using IE so I know the tweak works. EM just won't install either from sipsw or from the copy of EM I have on my PC.

Although I have done the tweak on Java I was wondering whether there might be something else in Java which is blocking the install. So I have been checking through stuff which might be related to this problem and come across what is called launcher.log which looks as though it is a log of what takes place when I am trying to install EM. Most of it is related to Java so was was wondering whether anyone has knowledge of Java and can see, by looking at the log, whether there is something being blocked. The file is attached and fingers crossed!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8b4dccbf-4227-4e3e-b8ab-5cb5179b5b94&file=launcher.log
At this cost, I would opt for a solution with VirtualBox and Windows XP or so ..

Update. I uninstalled Java 8.171 and installed instead 8.25 which I know works with BCM. Sadly it didn't make any difference.

I did notice, looking at the log file after I had done this, that a copy of EM and Monitor is downloaded to a temporary file but clearly it does not go on to install either of them. Looking at the old log file the same thing happened with 8.171 so there was no difference in performance between the two versions of Java.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back