Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing 2 Avaya 3524GT switches and 2 3510GT switches with IPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilinkcomm

Vendor
Oct 19, 2005
US
I have a question about setting up these new switches on my customer's network. I came from the Avaya Partner and Nortel Norstar world. This is the first IPO system I'm installing and everything was going good in my office while programming the new IPO system. I was planning on using the existing switches my customer had at their site but they changed their mind and wanted to go with all new Avaya switches.

This is what I have so far:
Main building:
(2) 3524GT switches
Stacked and cascaded through the rear ports

Second building
(1) 3510GT switch
Ties into first building using fiber connected to front ports on switches.

Third building
(1) 3510GT switch
Ties into second building using CAT6 cable connected to port 8 on both switches

I would like to set up the VLAN on the system but I'm worried about running "RUN IPOFFICE" through the console port because I don't want to screw up their entire network. Like I said, I'm coming more from the phone side of the fence and not the data networking side.

I have the IPO setup on 10.0.0.222
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
The gateway is 10.0.0.254

I have all 1616 and 1608 phones and I they are all connecting and I also can connect my laptop to them and I'm getting an IP address on their network(10.0.0.87).

Can anyone tell me what settings i should put in the system if I run "RUN IPOFFICE VERBOSE" so I don't have to mess with their existing network and still get the IPO working on their network?

Thanks for any help you can suggest.

gknight1...

Thanks for the link. If I'm reading it right, does this sound correct..

Voice VLAN - 42
Voice VLAN Gateway - IP Address of what I want to set the Avaya 3524GT switch to.. 10.0.42.254
Voice VLAN Gateway IP Mask - 255.255.255.0
Data VLAN - "0" since this is what their network already has??
Data VLAN Gateway - IP Address of customer's switch...10.0.0.254??? (this is currently customer's Verizon FIOS modem)
Data VLAN Gateway IP Mask - 255.255.255.0
IP Route to Gateway/Modem - 10.0.0.254??? (this is customer's Verizon FIOS Modem)
Call Server - IP address of IPO (I'll have to switch it from 10.0.0.222 to something on the Voice VLAN...Possibly 10.0.42.1
File Server - IP address of IPO (I'll have to switch it from 10.0.0.222 to something on the Voice VLAN...Possibly 10.0.42.1)

I definitely need to sign up for some IPO classes. This sure has been a learning process.

Thanks

correct, though not sure if you can put VLAN 0 in, it might need to be a value of 1 or higher.

also, you have the router plugged directly into the switch, no firewall??? I would put a firewall in before you worry about setting up VLANs.

I asked the person that has the most knowledge of their network and indeed they do not have a firewall. They don't have an IT person on staff and the guy taking care of the network is the same guy who cuts the checks at the end of the day. I might have to see about pushing them to get one before I cut over their phone system. They're a small company and are really laid back about things. When I asked him about the firewall, he said "It's something he was going to look into a while ago but because of the cost they never had one". (he thinks firewalls run in the $3000-$5000 range).

I brought the IPO and 1 of the 3524GT switches home with me so I'll test the "0" over the weekend to see if it works. If "0" doesn't work for the Data VLAN, would I need to get all of the existing network address changed to reflect the new Data VLAN setting?

no, you can make the vlan number whatever you would like.

there are several brands of firewalls that are business class for around $500, that usually comes with a year or two of licensing and support.

The way I really learned to program the Avaya ERS switches was to run the IP Office script (not verbose), note the settings it gave me at the end, then do a show run and see how it looks in the CLI

Then try IP Office Verbose, give it parameters like data gateway is 10.0.0.1, the ERS is 10.0.0.2, the IP Office is 192.168.43.1. the ERS is 192.168.43.2, etc. Note the final settings, do a show run, and see how it is different.

Try defaulting the ERS and programming it from scratch through the CLI.

With a little practice, I pretty much have a template in Excel where I plug in the IPs for the date network gateway, the IP for the ERS on the data network, the IP for the IP Office, the ERS switch on the voice network, ports for an App Server and/or RMS, trunk ports to another switch, ports on the Voice VLAN for IP speakerphones, DECT bases, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back