Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaStevo

Programmer
May 4, 2002
AU
Hi

After re-installing my computer with Windows XP Pro, it cannot detect my modem and sound card. I know they are in there cos it all worked fine before. Its a standard Sony PCG-FR700 so if anyone knows the technical details of these items that would be great, or how to find out what they are would be just as good.

Cheers
Steve

Look in device manager, is the computer not detecting them completely, or are they throwing errors?

Try rearanging their slots, reboot, and see if windows picks up on them. If the computer's detecting them and they're just not working, try reinstalling or updating the drivers.

They arent throwing errors (other than when trying to play sound it says there is nothing installed), and i cant rearrange the slots cos there is nothing to rearrange. It is not detecting anything at all unfortunately, well as far as I can tell

Right click 'my computer' go to device manager, and see if you can find your sound card and modem. Did you ever install their drivers?

In device manager make sure that it recognizes your motherboard chipset. If it does not it will not read the pci bus and therefore your devices connected there. You can go and get the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

your drivers may not work with xp, most older drivers dont (mostly modems since most users are upgrading to broadband)
Install your old windows, then install the modem and look for Windows2000/XP drivers then:
1)CDRW- Write to CD
2)floppy (if there small)
3)save in a folder (program files)
then do an upgrade without unintalling the OS

I havent installed them with the drivers cos i was hoping windows would do that automatically. I dont have the drivers either :( and dont know where to get them from, so maybe i'm screwed

Try taking the decvices out and looking them over, you can usually find hints to who the manufacturer is.. then it's easy to find a web site w/ updated drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back